Posted to user@accumulo.apache.org by "Samudrala, Ranganath [USA] via user" <us...@accumulo.apache.org> on 2023/01/18 14:41:05 UTC

Debug logging of accumulo classes

Hello
I am trying to configure Accumulo v2.1.0 with non-AWS S3 storage (Minio). So, the steps are like below

  1.  Run “accumulo init –upload-accumulo-props”
  2.  Add S3 volume to instance.volumes property and run “accumulo init –add-volumes”
     *   instance.volumes=hdfs://accumulo-hdfs-namenode-0.accumulo-hdfs-namenodes:8020/accumulo,s3a://accumulo/

When I run the second command, I see error as below:

2023-01-18T14:00:39,848 [main] [org.apache.accumulo.core.volume.VolumeImpl] ERROR: Basepath is empty. Make sure instance.volumes is set to a correct path

I am unable to turn on debug level logging on accumulo classes. I can see debug level logging for Hadoop classes just fine. I also turned on async logger in accumulo-env.sh – so I get more logs, but debug level logging is turned off even if I have the below in log4j2.properties

logger.accumulo.name = org.apache.accumulo
logger.accumulo.level = debug
logger.accumulo.appenderRef.console.ref = STDOUT

and root level logger is set to debug as well!

rootLogger.level = debug
rootLogger.appenderRef.console.ref = STDOUT

So, I am unable to figure out what the values are in BasePath and why.

How do I turn on debug level logging for accumulo classes?

Thanks
Ranga

Re: Debug logging of accumulo classes

Posted by "Samudrala, Ranganath [USA] via user" <us...@accumulo.apache.org>.
I am attaching both properties files.. I know there is some redundant definition in there.. but I still am not sure why accumulo related logging is not at debug level.

Log4j2.properties:
===============
status = debug
dest = out
name = AccumuloDefaultLoggingProperties
monitorInterval = 30

appender.console.type = Console
appender.console.name = STDOUT
appender.console.target = SYSTEM_OUT
appender.console.layout.type = PatternLayout
appender.console.layout.pattern = %style{%d{ISO8601}}{dim,cyan} %style{[}{red}%style{%-8c{2}}{dim,blue}%style{]}{red} %highlight{%-5p}%style{:}{red} %m%n

logger.shellaudit.name = org.apache.accumulo.shell.Shell.audit
logger.shellaudit.level = debug

logger.accumulo.name = org.apache.accumulo
logger.accumulo.level = debug
logger.accumulo.appenderRef.console.ref = STDOUT

logger.volumeImpl.name = org.apache.accumulo.core.volume.VolumeImpl
logger.volumeImpl.level = debug
logger.volumeImpl.appenderRef.console.ref = STDOUT

logger.zookeeper.name = org.apache.zookeeper
logger.zookeeper.level = info

logger.hadoop.name = org.apache.hadoop
logger.hadoop.level = debug
logger.hadoop.appenderRef.audit.ref = STDOUT

logger.s3a.name = org.apache.hadoop.fs.s3a
logger.s3a.level = debug
logger.s3a.appenderRef.audit.ref = STDOUT

rootLogger.level = debug
rootLogger.appenderRef.console.ref = STDOUT

Log4j2-service.properties:

status = debug
dest = out
name = AccumuloServiceLoggingProperties
monitorInterval = 30

packages = org.apache.accumulo.monitor.util.logging

property.filename = ${sys:accumulo.log.dir}/${sys:accumulo.application}

appender.console.type = Console
appender.console.name = STDOUT
appender.console.target = SYSTEM_OUT
appender.console.layout.type = PatternLayout
appender.console.layout.pattern = %d{ISO8601} [%t] [%c] %-5p: %m%n
appender.console.filter.threshold.type = ThresholdFilter
appender.console.filter.threshold.level = debug

appender.rolling.type = RollingFile
appender.rolling.name = LogFiles
appender.rolling.fileName = ${filename}.log
appender.rolling.filePattern = ${filename}-%d{yyyy-MM-dd}-%i.log.gz
appender.rolling.layout.type = PatternLayout
appender.rolling.layout.pattern = %d{ISO8601} [%t] [%c] %-5p: %m%n
appender.rolling.policies.type = Policies
appender.rolling.policies.time.type = TimeBasedTriggeringPolicy
appender.rolling.policies.time.interval = 1
appender.rolling.policies.time.modulate = true
appender.rolling.policies.size.type = SizeBasedTriggeringPolicy
appender.rolling.policies.size.size=512MB
appender.rolling.strategy.type = DefaultRolloverStrategy
appender.rolling.strategy.max = 10

appender.audit.type = RollingFile
appender.audit.name = AuditLogFiles
appender.audit.fileName = ${filename}.audit
appender.audit.filePattern = ${filename}-%d{yyyy-MM-dd}-%i.audit.gz
appender.audit.layout.type = PatternLayout
appender.audit.layout.pattern = %d{ISO8601} [%t] [%c] %-5p: %m%n
appender.audit.policies.type = Policies
appender.audit.policies.time.type = TimeBasedTriggeringPolicy
appender.audit.policies.time.interval = 1
appender.audit.policies.time.modulate = true
appender.audit.policies.size.type = SizeBasedTriggeringPolicy
appender.audit.policies.size.size=512MB
appender.audit.strategy.type = DefaultRolloverStrategy
appender.audit.strategy.max = 10

appender.monitor.type = AccumuloMonitor
appender.monitor.name = MonitorLog
appender.monitor.filter.threshold.type = ThresholdFilter
appender.monitor.filter.threshold.level = debug

logger.zookeeper.name = org.apache.zookeeper
logger.zookeeper.level = debug

logger.hadoop.name = org.apache.hadoop
logger.hadoop.level = debug
logger.hadoop.appenderRef.audit.ref = AuditLogFiles
logger.hadoop.appenderRef.console.ref = STDOUT

logger.s3a.name = org.apache.hadoop.fs.s3a
logger.s3a.level = debug
logger.s3a.appenderRef.audit.ref = AuditLogFiles
logger.s3a.appenderRef.console.ref = STDOUT

logger.accumulo.name = org.apache.accumulo
logger.accumulo.level = debug
logger.accumulo.appenderRef.console.ref = STDOUT

logger.volumeImpl.name = org.apache.accumulo.core.volume.VolumeImpl
logger.volumeImpl.level = debug
logger.volumeImpl.appenderRef.console.ref = STDOUT

rootLogger.level = debug
rootLogger.appenderRef.console.ref = STDOUT
rootLogger.appenderRef.rolling.ref = LogFiles
rootLogger.appenderRef.monitor.ref = MonitorLog

From: dev1 <de...@etcoleman.com>
Date: Wednesday, January 18, 2023 at 10:13 AM
To: user@accumulo.apache.org <us...@accumulo.apache.org>, Samudrala, Ranganath [USA] <Sa...@bah.com>
Subject: [External] RE: Debug logging of accumulo classes
You can change the logging configuration levels for Accumulo processes editing the log4j-service.properties file.

Ed Coleman

Posted by dev1 <de...@etcoleman.com>.