Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Derek Hohls <DH...@csir.co.za> on 2003/02/06 15:33:32 UTC

Training others on Cocoon - suggestions?

Hi

I am planning on running a small training session with
some colleagues, and need to communicate my learning
and insights (!?)  to them in an effective a way as
possible.

Obviously I am planning to make use of all available
resources (Cocoon website; wiki site; various mailing
list archive messages + 2 cocoon books) - but I would
welcome any suggestions on how to structure the sessions
(eg. order of presenting topics etc). I am planning on
covering XSLT in the first part, as their skills are
weak in this field and I believe this is a key topic
for effective use of Cocoon.

Comments?  Ideas?  Links?!

Thanks
Derek

"The CSIR exercises no editorial control over E-mail messages and/or
attachments thereto/links referred to therein originating in the
organisation and the views in this message/attachments thereto are
therefore not necessarily those of the CSIR and/or its employees.
The sender of this e-mail is, moreover, in terms of the CSIR's Conditions
of Service, subject to compliance with the CSIR's internal E-mail and
Internet Policy."

Re: Training others on Cocoon - suggestions?

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
>  I am planning on
> covering XSLT in the first part, as their skills are
> weak in this field and I believe this is a key topic
> for effective use of Cocoon.

I don't know your public, but what I've found when mentoring or
teaching people to use Cocoon is that they are often overwhelmed by the
many different technologies and skills involved.

IMHO you can do a lot with some XSLT, some sitemap config, some log
exploration skills, etc. without having to go deep in any of these at
first.

What my students/colleagues found distracting was using all the
different components involved without understanding any of them in
detail (at first).

OTOH I think it's a good idea to start with some XSLT, which can be
disturbing enough for people to warrant being treated separately from
Cocoon.

Hope this helps,
Bertrand