Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2022/03/09 14:52:37 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 10.0.18

The proposed Apache Tomcat 10.0.18 release is now available for
voting.

Apache Tomcat 10.0.x implements Jakarta EE 9 and, as such, the primary
package for all the specification APIs has changed from javax.* to jakarta.*

Applications that run on Tomcat 9 will not run on Tomcat 10 without
changes. Java EE applications designed for Tomcat 9 and earlier may be
placed in the $CATALINA_BASE/webapps-javaee directory and Tomcat will
automatically convert them to Jakarta EE and copy them to the webapps
directory

The notable changes compared to 10.0.17 are:

- Fix a potential thread-safety issue that could cause HTTP/1.1 request
   processing to pause, and potentially timeout, waiting for additional
   data when the full request has been received.

- Fix a regression introduced with 65757 bugfix which better identified
   non request threads but which introduced a similar problem when user
   code was doing sequential operations in a single thread.

- When resolving methods in EL expressions that use beans and/or static
   fields, ensure that any custom type conversion is considered when
   identifying the method to call.

Along with lots of other bug fixes and improvements.

For full details, see the changelog:
https://nightlies.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-10.0.x/docs/changelog.html

It can be obtained from:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-10/v10.0.18/

The Maven staging repo is:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1361

The tag is:
https://github.com/apache/tomcat/tree/10.0.18
70f59e8328621e58b9493c119f05a2e57f597a1c

The proposed 10.0.18 release is:
[ ] Broken - do not release
[ ] Stable - go ahead and release as 10.0.18 (stable)

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 10.0.18

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 12/03/2022 19:27, Igal Sapir wrote:

> The unit
> test TEST-org.apache.tomcat.jni.TestSocketServerAnyLocalAddress.NIO2.txt
> which used to work properly in my environment is failing with an error [1].
>
> Any ideas why?

Nothing obvious. Maybe use Wireshark to see what is going on?

Mark

Posted by Igal Sapir <is...@apache.org>.

Posted by Felix Schumacher <fe...@internetallee.de>.
Am 09.03.22 um 15:52 schrieb Mark Thomas:
> The proposed Apache Tomcat 10.0.18 release is now available for
> voting.
>
> Apache Tomcat 10.0.x implements Jakarta EE 9 and, as such, the primary
> package for all the specification APIs has changed from javax.* to
> jakarta.*
>
> Applications that run on Tomcat 9 will not run on Tomcat 10 without
> changes. Java EE applications designed for Tomcat 9 and earlier may be
> placed in the $CATALINA_BASE/webapps-javaee directory and Tomcat will
> automatically convert them to Jakarta EE and copy them to the webapps
> directory
>
> The notable changes compared to 10.0.17 are:
>
> - Fix a potential thread-safety issue that could cause HTTP/1.1 request
>   processing to pause, and potentially timeout, waiting for additional
>   data when the full request has been received.
>
> - Fix a regression introduced with 65757 bugfix which better identified
>   non request threads but which introduced a similar problem when user
>   code was doing sequential operations in a single thread.
>
> - When resolving methods in EL expressions that use beans and/or static
>   fields, ensure that any custom type conversion is considered when
>   identifying the method to call.
>
> Along with lots of other bug fixes and improvements.
>
> For full details, see the changelog:
> https://nightlies.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-10.0.x/docs/changelog.html
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-10/v10.0.18/
>
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1361
>
> The tag is:
> https://github.com/apache/tomcat/tree/10.0.18
> 70f59e8328621e58b9493c119f05a2e57f597a1c
>
> The proposed 10.0.18 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [x] Stable - go ahead and release as 10.0.18 (stable)
Felix

[VOTE][RESULT] Release Apache Tomcat 10.0.18

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
The following votes were cast:

Binding:
+1: remm, markt, isapir, fschumacher

No other votes were cast. The vote therefore passes.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this release.

Mark

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 10.0.18

Posted by Igal Sapir <is...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Mar 9, 2022 at 6:52 AM Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> The proposed Apache Tomcat 10.0.18 release is now available for
> voting.
>
> Apache Tomcat 10.0.x implements Jakarta EE 9 and, as such, the primary
> package for all the specification APIs has changed from javax.* to
> jakarta.*
>
> Applications that run on Tomcat 9 will not run on Tomcat 10 without
> changes. Java EE applications designed for Tomcat 9 and earlier may be
> placed in the $CATALINA_BASE/webapps-javaee directory and Tomcat will
> automatically convert them to Jakarta EE and copy them to the webapps
> directory
>
> The notable changes compared to 10.0.17 are:
>
> - Fix a potential thread-safety issue that could cause HTTP/1.1 request
>    processing to pause, and potentially timeout, waiting for additional
>    data when the full request has been received.
>
> - Fix a regression introduced with 65757 bugfix which better identified
>    non request threads but which introduced a similar problem when user
>    code was doing sequential operations in a single thread.
>
> - When resolving methods in EL expressions that use beans and/or static
>    fields, ensure that any custom type conversion is considered when
>    identifying the method to call.
>
> Along with lots of other bug fixes and improvements.
>
> For full details, see the changelog:
> https://nightlies.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-10.0.x/docs/changelog.html
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-10/v10.0.18/
>
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1361
>
> The tag is:
> https://github.com/apache/tomcat/tree/10.0.18
> 70f59e8328621e58b9493c119f05a2e57f597a1c
>
> The proposed 10.0.18 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Stable - go ahead and release as 10.0.18 (stable)

After a system reboot the unit tests passed on Ubuntu 20.04 with Java
11.0.14.

Igal

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 10.0.18

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 09/03/2022 14:52, Mark Thomas wrote:

<snip/>

> The proposed 10.0.18 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Stable - go ahead and release as 10.0.18 (stable)
Unit tests pass for NIO, NIO2 and APR on Linux, MacOS and Windows.

Mark

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 10.0.18

Posted by Rémy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Mar 9, 2022 at 3:53 PM Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> The proposed Apache Tomcat 10.0.18 release is now available for
> voting.
>
> Apache Tomcat 10.0.x implements Jakarta EE 9 and, as such, the primary
> package for all the specification APIs has changed from javax.* to jakarta.*
>
> Applications that run on Tomcat 9 will not run on Tomcat 10 without
> changes. Java EE applications designed for Tomcat 9 and earlier may be
> placed in the $CATALINA_BASE/webapps-javaee directory and Tomcat will
> automatically convert them to Jakarta EE and copy them to the webapps
> directory
>
> The notable changes compared to 10.0.17 are:
>
> - Fix a potential thread-safety issue that could cause HTTP/1.1 request
>    processing to pause, and potentially timeout, waiting for additional
>    data when the full request has been received.
>
> - Fix a regression introduced with 65757 bugfix which better identified
>    non request threads but which introduced a similar problem when user
>    code was doing sequential operations in a single thread.
>
> - When resolving methods in EL expressions that use beans and/or static
>    fields, ensure that any custom type conversion is considered when
>    identifying the method to call.
>
> Along with lots of other bug fixes and improvements.
>
> For full details, see the changelog:
> https://nightlies.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-10.0.x/docs/changelog.html
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-10/v10.0.18/
>
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-1361
>
> The tag is:
> https://github.com/apache/tomcat/tree/10.0.18
> 70f59e8328621e58b9493c119f05a2e57f597a1c
>
> The proposed 10.0.18 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [X] Stable - go ahead and release as 10.0.18 (stable)

Rémy