Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Markus KARG <ma...@quipsy.de> on 2006/06/06 07:19:55 UTC

svnant: Problems with German translation

It seems there is a problem in svnant with the German translation of svn:

06.06.2006 07:26:59 org.tigris.subversion.svnclientadapter.commandline.parser.SvnOutputParser parse
WARNUNG: Can't find a svn action for svn output line : Ausgecheckt, Revision 2274.

"Ausgecheckt" means "Checked out" in English.

So either svnant isn't able to handle "Checked out" messages, OR is not
able to handle its German translation.
Maybe a solution would be to ask the SVN team to install an option to
return English messages EVER, independent of the target host's locale?

Markus

Re: svnant: Problems with German translation

Posted by Markus KARG <ma...@quipsy.de>.
Ryan Schmidt schrieb:

>> 06.06.2006 07:26:59
>> org.tigris.subversion.svnclientadapter.commandline.parser.SvnOutputPar
>> ser parse
>> WARNUNG: Can't find a svn action for svn output line : Ausgecheckt,
>> Revision 2274.
>>
>> "Ausgecheckt" means "Checked out" in English.
>>
>> So either svnant isn't able to handle "Checked out" messages, OR is
>> not able to handle its German translation.
>> Maybe a solution would be to ask the SVN team to install an option
>> to return English messages EVER, independent of the target host's
>> locale?
>
> It seems there is a problem in svnant with the German translation  of
> svn:
>
> I thought Subversion's messages *were* directly controlled by the
> locale? That is, if you want English messages, you just export
> LANG=en_US before calling svn.

Actually I do not want anything. I just want to report that svnant is
not working properly on German machines and hope that someone will fix
that bug or send me a workaround. Indeed I am not calling SVN, I am
calling svnant.

> If svnant requires that, you'd think they would have done that in
> their script already. Though if they're really parsing the English
> text of the svn command-line client's output to figure out what's
> going on, then that doesn't seem very smart. I mean, those messages
> could change in the next Subversion release, to fix typos or improve
> wording or whatever, and Subversion offers these nice language
> bindings that programs are supposed to use if they want to interact
> with Subversion... Or, even if you're wrapping the svn command-line
> client as I do in some simple scripts, checking the numeric error
> code should be more reliable than checking the error message text...
> But those are all things you'll have to take up with the developers
> of svnant.

I think that's why SVN guys invented the -xml option...? ;-)

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Posted by Markus KARG <ma...@quipsy.de>.
Arne,

javahl IS installed.

But thanks for the tip, seems I have posted the question on the wrong list.

Markus

Posted by Arne Moor <ar...@moor-informatik.ch>.