Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Arnaud Héritier <ah...@gmail.com> on 2012/12/01 11:15:06 UTC

Colorized console and logging implementation choice was Re: Re-spinning 3.1.0

On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 9:40 AM, Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr> wrote:

> I just created and fixed MNG-5395 and MNG-5396, which are logger names
> enhancements from the actual values that will give value even with slf4j-
> simple
>
> These should be a starting point for more global discussion about our
> logging
> conventions then fixed in our global codebase, since IMHO, these issues
> show
> how we didn't use the logger names until now then we have a lot of place
> where
> our logging pratice is not good
>
> Of course, I'm interested in colorized output, but since it has impact on
> logging implementation choice, which will require a strong discussion, this
> can't be done for the moment :|

A strong discussion ? seriously ?
We have 3 choices from my point of view :
* We do nothing, we keep the slf4j-simple
* We choose logback which is mature and used by a lot of people. Nowadays
from my point of view it is the reference implementation
* We choose log4j2 which is really promising but always in beta. But we may
do this "political" to support this project which is rising from the ashes (
http://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/manual/index.html)

In any case doing a choice nowadays for 3.1.0 won't prevent us to change it
in the future. I really hope that the ability to switch from a logger
implementation to another won't require several days of developments or I
really missed something about it.

Cheers

Arnaud

> Regards,
>
> Hervé
>
> Le samedi 1 décembre 2012 09:17:52 Arnaud Héritier a écrit :
> > Hi Jason,
> >
> >   Couldn't we have a look at olamy's log4j2 branch to see if we could
> > sanitize / merge it to propose at least one change for the end user
> > and demonstrate the interest of the change about logs : a colorized
> > console.
> >
> >   I remember you did that in mvnsh/teslashell a long time ago (as an
> > extension ?) and perhaps it could be easy to add properly this feature
> > in 3.1.0 (otherwise it won't be before a 3.2.0).
> >
> >   Myself I'm using a 3.1.0 fork with this patch and I' m really
> > satisfied (it's so good to quickly see highlighted warning and errors
> > ). I merged it back in the last 3.1.0 tag you did without issue
> >
> >   Wdyt?
> >
> > ---------
> > Arnaud
> >
> > Le 1 déc. 2012 à 00:20, Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io> a écrit :
> > > I'm done with the issues that cropped up so I'm ready to re-spin 3.1.0.
> > >
> > > Anyone want to add anything or discuss anything before I spin this? I'm
> > > not in any rush so if folks want to talk about logging we can. But
> given
> > > the fact once SLF4J initializes it can't change the implementation
> > > plugins integrating with Maven need to use the implementation we
> choose.
> > > This is how everything else in the world that integrates SLF4J has to
> > > operate so I don't really see us being any different.
> > >
> > > I'll wait until tomorrow to re-spin.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Jason

-----
Arnaud Héritier
http://aheritier.net
Mail/GTalk: aheritier AT gmail DOT com
Twitter/Skype : aheritier

Re: Colorized console and logging implementation choice was Re: Re-spinning 3.1.0

Posted by Arnaud Héritier <ah...@gmail.com>.
Thanks a lot to have pushed it.
I tested it with success
I like it, at least something that will improve the user experience soon.
Note : Like Olivier's branch the default logging setup has an issue because
the default color is set to black (or white) which are backgrounds colors
commonly used. This is something we'll have to take care. The best should
be to not touch the default foreground color for INFO level and just add
colors for others levels.

Cheers,

-----

Posted by ceki <ce...@qos.ch>.
Olivier, thank you for the information. The logback equivalent would
be:

<root level="${maven.logging.root.level:-INFO}">
   <appender-ref ref="console"/>
</root>

If the "maven.logging.root.level" system property is defined, then the
root level would be set using the value of that system
property. Otherwise, if the system property is undefined, the root
level would be set to INFO. See also logback docs at:

  http://logback.qos.ch/manual/configuration.html#variableSubstitution
  http://tinyurl.com/bmxcj5w

--
Ceki

Re: Colorized console and logging implementation choice was Re: Re-spinning 3.1.0

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.

--
Olivier Lamy
Talend: http://coders.talend.com

Re: Colorized console and logging implementation choice was Re: Re-spinning 3.1.0

Posted by ceki <ce...@qos.ch>.
On 04.12.2012 19:18, Jason van Zyl wrote:

 > I've been talking to Ceki about configuration in SLF4J as there is
 > really no way to change the log level without assuming an
 > implementation. If that's the way then for embedding the user can
 > change the SLF4J implementation but for the CLI this will not be
 > possible. What I would effectively have to do is what the Sonar folks
 > did which is to grab hold of the implementation and programmatically
 > change the log level.
 >
 > So if the default log level is INFO I don't think it's possible to
 > ship all implementations and be able to flip to debug mode easily. So
 > I think if we pick one implementation then for the CLI we can make
 > that assumption. Again this should not affect folks who embed like m2e
 > as we just use the components and do our own SLF4J integration.

It would be possible to set the level of a logger by invoking
framework-specific directives. Here is some pseudo-code:

// pseudo code
public void setLevel(Logger logger, int level) {
   if(logger instanceof org.apache.log4j.Logger) {
     log4jSetLevel(logger, level);
   } else if(logger instanceof ch.qos.logback.classic.Logger) {
     logbackSetLevel(logger, level);
   } else if (logger instanceof java.util.logging.Logger) {
     julSetLevel(logger, level);
   } else if (you get the idea...) {
   }
}

Historically, SLF4J has shied away from providing abstractions for
logging configuration for two reasons:

1) logging configuration can have quite a large scope.
2) insufficient demand

If the scope of "configuration" is limited to logger level
configuration, the problem becomes much easier to tackle as
illustrated by the pseudo code above. Would Maven's logging
configuration requirements be satisfied by logger level configuration
or are there requirements beyond logger level configuration?

By the way, the is no reason why Maven could not implement similar
level configuration code on its own without depending on a slf4j
configuration module which currently does not exist.

--
Ceki
http://twitter.com/#!/ceki

Re: Colorized console and logging implementation choice was Re: Re-spinning 3.1.0

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>.

Posted by Arnaud Héritier <ah...@gmail.com>.
Just tested it.
It's working fine
Thx a lot.

--
-----

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>.
Arnaud,

Posted by Arnaud Héritier <ah...@gmail.com>.
Jason,

-----

Posted by Marc Pasteur <ma...@gmail.com>.
works fine but as someone (don't remember who... arnaud maybe) said the
color for info message is black so... not so readable on a black background
:-)

for "la vie en rose" i've to made a patch as only MAGENTA is allowed at the
moment but that could be cute :-)

it works neither in intellij nor in eclipse (Helios)

regards,

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
ANSI can set the BG color...

Gary

Posted by Arnaud Héritier <ah...@gmail.com>.
yes we discussed about it.
That one reason why we should not activate it by default.
We'll never find a solution that will satisfy everybody

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.

Posted by Arnaud Héritier <ah...@gmail.com>.
I had the feedback (not tested myself) that the log4j2 (I suppose it is the
same for the logback) adds colors in netbeans console.

Arnaud

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 8:47 AM, Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org> wrote:

> 2012/12/3 Marc Pasteur <ma...@gmail.com>:
> > hi,
> >

> > For the record according to log4j2 docs [1] you need some additional
> > library to make this works on Windows.
> > So if you don't want to display some ←[37m[ stuffs in the console
> jansi.jar
> > mut be put on maven/lib/ext folder
> >
> > Can it be "by default" ?
>
> for sure it's (at least in dynamic-logging-impl branch)
> Test that http://people.apache.org/~olamy/maven/dynamic-logging-impl/.
> Let us know if that work on Windows.
> Happy to give you some colors in your terminal life ! ("la vie en
> rose" maybe :-) )
> BTW does it works too when running maven in various IDE ? (sorry I'm
> an eternal terminal console lover).

I'm pretty sure it will not work in Eclipse because the Eclipse "console"
is not a real console. At least it did not work for me when I was working
on the color log features for log4j2. Works great in a real console of
course.

Gary

Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: Colorized console and logging implementation choice was Re: Re-spinning 3.1.0

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Arnaud Héritier <ah...@gmail.com>.
yes it is the same thing for logback version
For sure we'll provided it by default the day we'll provide this feature.

--
-----

Posted by Marc Pasteur <ma...@gmail.com>.
hi,

Posted by Arnaud Héritier <ah...@gmail.com>.
+1

-----

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>.
I already have started a logback version, but I don't think this should affect rolling the 3.1.0.

On Dec 1, 2012, at 6:57 AM, Arnaud Héritier <ah...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I pushed the prototype developed by olivier using log4j2 in the
> branch feature/colorized-console/log4j2
> I updated with latest master changes
> You can test the distro of this code : http://cl.ly/1B1z051O0T10
>
> Tonight I'll try to do a logback version
>
> cheers
>
> Arnaud
>

> On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 11:15 AM, Arnaud Héritier <ah...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 9:40 AM, Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>wrote:
>>
>>> I just created and fixed MNG-5395 and MNG-5396, which are logger names
>>> enhancements from the actual values that will give value even with slf4j-
>>> simple
>>>
>>> These should be a starting point for more global discussion about our
>>> logging
>>> conventions then fixed in our global codebase, since IMHO, these issues
>>> show
>>> how we didn't use the logger names until now then we have a lot of place
>>> where
>>> our logging pratice is not good
>>>
>>> Of course, I'm interested in colorized output, but since it has impact on
>>> logging implementation choice, which will require a strong discussion,
>>> this
>>> can't be done for the moment :|
>>>

>> A strong discussion ? seriously ?
>> We have 3 choices from my point of view :
>> * We do nothing, we keep the slf4j-simple
>> * We choose logback which is mature and used by a lot of people. Nowadays
>> from my point of view it is the reference implementation
>> * We choose log4j2 which is really promising but always in beta. But we
>> may do this "political" to support this project which is rising from the
>> ashes (http://logging.apache.org/log4j/2.x/manual/index.html)
>>
>> In any case doing a choice nowadays for 3.1.0 won't prevent us to change
>> it in the future. I really hope that the ability to switch from a logger
>> implementation to another won't require several days of developments or I
>> really missed something about it.
>>
>> Cheers
>>

>> Arnaud
>>

>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Hervé

>>> 3.1.0.

>>> I'm
>>> given
>>> choose.

>> --
>> -----
>> Arnaud Héritier
>> http://aheritier.net
>> Mail/GTalk: aheritier AT gmail DOT com
>> Twitter/Skype : aheritier
>>

> --
> -----
> Arnaud Héritier
> http://aheritier.net
> Mail/GTalk: aheritier AT gmail DOT com
> Twitter/Skype : aheritier

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder & CTO, Sonatype
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

Re: Colorized console and logging implementation choice was Re: Re-spinning 3.1.0

Posted by Arnaud Héritier <ah...@gmail.com>.

--
-----

Posted by Arnaud Héritier <ah...@gmail.com>.
I agree but sincerely I'm sure that less than 0,01% of our users will
customize their logs.

--
-----

Posted by Anders Hammar <an...@hammar.net>.