Posted to user@hama.apache.org by Diot Sebastien <s....@eurodata.de> on 2012/09/22 15:16:35 UTC

How does Hama compares to Akka?

Hi,

How does Hama compare to Akka? http://akka.io/

The BSP Model seems quite similar to the Actor model.

Akka's clustering isn't really there yet, but for same-JVM message passing use-case, they seem to be leading.

In fact, my main concern atm is to find out how to create a reliable cluster of Akka nodes. Would it make sense to run Akka on top of Hama, and let Hama do the networking?

Are messages across the network reliable?

MfG / Regards,
Sebastien Diot

Grossblittersdorferstrasse 257-259
66119 Saarbruecken
Germany
Tel.:  +49 (681) 8808-0
Fax.:  +49 (681) 8808-300
E-Mail.: s.diot@eurodata.de
EURO DATA GmbH & Co. KG
Datenverarbeitungsdienst
HR A 6448 Amtsgericht Saarbrücken
Komplementär: A. Reiß & Sohn GmbH
HR B 4965 Amtsgericht Saarbrücken
Geschäftsführer: Dipl.-Kfm. Karl-Heinz Siebenpfeiffer

Re: How does Hama compares to Akka?

Posted by Suraj Menon <su...@apache.org>.
I am not an Akka expert issue either. I leave it to others to answer this.
But some of these areas you have mentioned across your other mails could be
experimented or even implemented. Please feel free to experiment on these.
You or for that matter anyone else in the community can start a github
project before contributing into the Hama source code. We are looking at
using BSP primitives for implementing different programming model on HDFS.
Feel free to create a JIRA issue for tracking.

-Suraj