Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Michael Hutchinson <mh...@manux.co.nz> on 2008/04/15 00:35:07 UTC

SPF and Hotmail

Hi Everyone.

I am trying to reduce Spam from Forged hotmail addresses. I understand
that because I am on Spamassassin 3.1.7, that my hotmail rules are
out-of-date. They do, however, manage to correctly fire on the forged
hotmail Spam, but not with a score high enough to flag the mail as such.

We have SPF enabled in Spamassassin, but I fear that it is not doing
anything. Is there another option I am meant to enable other than
"loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::SPF" in init.pre?

Can we do SPF checking for specific domains, or is it "once it's on it
checks everything" type of thing?

Cheers,

Michael Hutchinson

Manux Solutions Ltd

Phone: 0800 328 324 | Email: mhutchinson@manux.co.nz
<ma...@manux.co.nz>

http://www.manux.co.nz/

Re: SPF and Hotmail

Posted by Henrik K <he...@hege.li>.
On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 12:40:04AM +0300, Jari Fredriksson wrote:

> > I can't employ what you've told me as upgrading to 3.2.4
> > is out of the question until I rebuild the mail server
> > (Debian Sarge), but the advice is appreciated.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Michael Hutchinson
>
> I have installed SpamAssassin on Debian Sarge & Etch via cpan and no
> problem has followed. As long as you don't install perl via cpan, but only
> SpamAssassin.. and configured cpan so that it "follows" the dependencies
> you will be good.
>
> I consider cpan for SA as "volatile" for ClamAV, something one must do,
> and it usually works.

And if you want to move to advanced class, compile your own perl. It will
guarantee that nothing will break ever. And you can jump on the 5.10
bandwagon right now.

http://hege.li/howto/spam/perl.html

Re: SPF and Hotmail

Posted by Jari Fredriksson <ja...@iki.fi>.

RE: SPF and Hotmail

Posted by Michael Hutchinson <mh...@manux.co.nz>.

Thanks for the information Benny. I haven't had time to put things into
operation yet so am unable to report success or not, but I'm sure things
will work out fine.

Thanks again!
Cheers,
Michael Hutchinson

RE: SPF and Hotmail

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.org>.
On Wed, April 16, 2008 00:14, Michael Hutchinson wrote:

>> domain:
>> def_whitelist_auth *@hotmail.com
>> user:
>> whitelist_auth user@hotmail.com

> Cool, thanks Benny.

np

> I can't employ what you've told me as upgrading to 3.2.4 is out of the
> question until I rebuild the mail server (Debian Sarge), but the advice
> is appreciated.

until you have 3.2.4 then

def_whitelist_spf *@hotmail.com
whitelist_spf user@hotmail.com

newer whitelist a domain, the above its imho better since you still can
control the scores diffrently

spamassassin 2>&1 -D spf -t < /tmp/msg | less

to see it works or not

Benny Pedersen
Need more webspace ? http://www.servage.net/?coupon=cust37098

RE: SPF and Hotmail

Posted by Michael Hutchinson <mh...@manux.co.nz>.

Cool, thanks Benny.

Re: SPF and Hotmail

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.org>.

Re: SPF and Hotmail

Posted by ram <ra...@netcore.co.in>.
On Tue, 2008-04-15 at 10:35 +1200, Michael Hutchinson wrote:
> Hi Everyone.
>

> I am trying to reduce Spam from Forged hotmail addresses. I understand
> that because I am on Spamassassin 3.1.7, that my hotmail rules are
> out-of-date. They do, however, manage to correctly fire on the forged
> hotmail Spam, but not with a score high enough to flag the mail as
> such.
>

> We have SPF enabled in Spamassassin, but I fear that it is not doing
> anything. Is there another option I am meant to enable other than
> “loadplugin Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::SPF” in init.pre?

Do you have any mail that was forged from hotmail and passed clean
Can you cut paste the headers of such a mail

Try forging yourself a hotmail mail and see the results.