Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID> on 2019/03/12 12:35:57 UTC

Installers for Apache NetBeans 11

Hi all,

Reema and others have put together installers for Windows and Linux:

https://builds.apache.org/job/netbeans-installer-test/

The questions are:

1. Is this too late for inclusion in our official release? They haven't
been tried out as part of the NetCAT process, so should we wait to include
these not in the upcoming release, but in the release afterwards?

2. Voting on releases is on source code only -- this would be a binary
release like a ZIP file, would it even need to be voted on? And how would
that vote be done?

3. They need to be signed -- Laszlo, do you know how to do this (as
volunteer release manager)?

4. Mac OSX -- https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-17961.

Thanks,

Gj

Re: Installers for Apache NetBeans 11

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
+1

Gj

Re: Re: Installers for Apache NetBeans 11

Posted by Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com>.
Came in late in the discussion so not sure what is presently in use for Netbeans but figured I’d mention.

Looking at the Tomcat BUILDING.txt, the ant build script (see release target for dependencies) it appears to use an open source installer (see
https://nsis.sourceforge.io/Main_Page ) as part of its build process.

On none Windows environments it also uses Wine to build with.

Eric Bresie
Ebresie@gmail.com

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
Hey all,

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
The key problem here is that there's nothing comparable in any other Apache
projects -- we can't refer to anything else and need to decide amongst
ourselves what to do here. The installer exists for no other purpose than
to install the binary of the sources that define the Apache release. Surely

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Timon Veenstra <mo...@gmail.com>.

> Do the sources of the installers matter, at all? What they are is a
> convenience binary, which is outside the scope of what Apache releases in
> the same way as a ZIP file.

For RCP based applications it sure does.

Re: Installers for Apache NetBeans 11

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Timon Veenstra <mo...@gmail.com>.

> 1. Is this too late for inclusion in our official release? They haven't
> been tried out as part of the NetCAT process, so should we wait to include
> these not in the upcoming release, but in the release afterwards?

As the PR has not been merged, this piece of code hasn't been voted on yet.
I don't see why it would stop us from using the code to publish the code
that has been approved in binary form.

> 2. Voting on releases is on source code only -- this would be a binary
> release like a ZIP file, would it even need to be voted on? And how would
> that vote be done?

I would say use the code to generate binaries from the voted release
sources.
Merge the PR after the release so the source code of the installer
generation is included in the next release.

Re: Installers for Apache NetBeans 11

Posted by re...@oracle.com.
Hi,

    Apache NetBeans 11.0 VC3 based installers are shared here :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q1yjushmhpycfci/Apache-NetBeans-11.0-bin-windows-x64.exe?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/65crnzvux7p7jrg/Apache-NetBeans-11.0-bin-macosx.dmg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3bo9es4m7us84xx/Apache-NetBeans-11.0-bin-linux-x64.sh?dl=0

Windows installer is currently signed using Test Certificate using
Apache signing service (https://reference.apache.org/pmc/codesigning).
Hence shows unknown publisher, but Certificate can be viewed in file -
right click - Properties dlg.

Mac installer is signed using Developer ID Installer Certificate.

Thanks,

Reema

On 13/03/19 6:25 PM, reema.taneja@oracle.com wrote:
> [...]
>>> release like a ZIP file, would it even need to be voted on? And how
>>> would
>>> that vote be done?
>> As you say, voting is on source only.  Are all the sources required to
>> do this in the NB11 branch for voting on?  And could anyone with the
>> source bundle (and right OS) replicate the process?
> Code is in fork branch, PR here[1]. Same script in build job can be
> run to build installers locally. Also posted here[2].
>>
>>> 4. Mac OSX --
>>> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__issues.apache.org_jira_browse_INFRA-2D17961&d=DwIBaQ&c=RoP1YumCXCgaWHvlZYR8PZh8Bv7qIrMUB65eapI_JnE&r=I_-Y15BecdUmuYLJbvbi0hFUs7JgHZnV_jPFSP8DQF0&m=Vs8behDrN-HvtaArsOocZFp4G49p0cu6Bjhddj4e4gc&s=x_UDOktKPZbQeeZHFMuiCKxTaVyKBYYtJUJ1riZx3M0&e=.
>> Could consider the app bundle approach available in the platform as an
>> OSX option for this release too?
> Mac installer can be built locally.
>
> Thanks,
> Reema
>
> [1]
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_apache_incubator-2Dnetbeans_pull_1052&d=DwICaQ&c=RoP1YumCXCgaWHvlZYR8PZh8Bv7qIrMUB65eapI_JnE&r=I_-Y15BecdUmuYLJbvbi0hFUs7JgHZnV_jPFSP8DQF0&m=w0DKj8hxUF6N2peVimC0Bw-U-Jh9IQbYuAOV_Slp_Ys&s=V5L8BHrBBbcPu-MUe7NJWu1lzUFm9Lhg-NYwtvonwkU&e=
> [2]
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__cwiki.apache.org_confluence_display_NETBEANS_Installer-2BBuild-2BSteps&d=DwICaQ&c=RoP1YumCXCgaWHvlZYR8PZh8Bv7qIrMUB65eapI_JnE&r=I_-Y15BecdUmuYLJbvbi0hFUs7JgHZnV_jPFSP8DQF0&m=w0DKj8hxUF6N2peVimC0Bw-U-Jh9IQbYuAOV_Slp_Ys&s=WhSfmLZVNKNcnNjVVpji2kf1-ATyOReOUxVi9SGGPoA&e=
>> Best wishes,
>>
>> Neil

Re: Installers for Apache NetBeans 11

Posted by re...@oracle.com.
Hi Neil,

On 12/03/19 6:15 PM, Neil C Smith wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Mar 2019 at 12:36, Geertjan Wielenga
> <ge...@googlemail.com.invalid> wrote:
>> 2. Voting on releases is on source code only -- this would be a binary
>> release like a ZIP file, would it even need to be voted on? And how would
>> that vote be done?
> As you say, voting is on source only.  Are all the sources required to
> do this in the NB11 branch for voting on?  And could anyone with the
> source bundle (and right OS) replicate the process?
Code is in fork branch, PR here[1]. Same script in build job can be run
to build installers locally. Also posted here[2].

>> 4. Mac OSX -- https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__issues.apache.org_jira_browse_INFRA-2D17961&d=DwIBaQ&c=RoP1YumCXCgaWHvlZYR8PZh8Bv7qIrMUB65eapI_JnE&r=I_-Y15BecdUmuYLJbvbi0hFUs7JgHZnV_jPFSP8DQF0&m=Vs8behDrN-HvtaArsOocZFp4G49p0cu6Bjhddj4e4gc&s=x_UDOktKPZbQeeZHFMuiCKxTaVyKBYYtJUJ1riZx3M0&e=.
> Could consider the app bundle approach available in the platform as an

[1] https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans/pull/1052
[2]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/Installer+Build+Steps

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
On 3/12/19 5:35 AM, Geertjan Wielenga wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Reema and others have put together installers for Windows and Linux:
>
> https://builds.apache.org/job/netbeans-installer-test/
>
> The questions are:
>
> 1. Is this too late for inclusion in our official release? They haven't
> been tried out as part of the NetCAT process, so should we wait to include
> these not in the upcoming release, but in the release afterwards?

Well, I see this one is coming from a forked branch, that branch shall
be merged into master then into release110.

Depending on the code in the PR, I think it might be possible to add
these installers into the current release.

> 2. Voting on releases is on source code only -- this would be a binary
> release like a ZIP file, would it even need to be voted on? And how would
> that vote be done?
We vote on the code only, so if we reach the point when the installer
actually build-able from the code, I do not see any reason why we can't
add them to our list of convenience binaries.

> 3. They need to be signed -- Laszlo, do you know how to do this (as
> volunteer release manager)?
I guess this is something additional to our PGP signature. I do not know
about that, but if we have some docs on it (maybe on our Wiki), I could
follow that one.