Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Allistair Crossley <Al...@QAS.com> on 2004/03/09 17:45:53 UTC

Heap View vs Windows Task Manager

I wonder if anyone on this list can once and for all make me understand the difference between the Windows Task Manager process memory and the Heap View in such a program like JProfiler.

My Windows Task Manager reports on first loading my application about 50MB. As I wander around it grows until eventually at 158MB I get OutOfMemoryException.

The intriguing thing to me is that in the Heap View of JProfiler which I look at AT the same time as the WTM never reports anything over 15MB!! The free heap size stays at 15MB and the used heap size always shows spikes indicating garbage collection but it keeps under the 15MB. When it first starts the free heap is 10MB and in this case the free heaps grows to accomodate the required heap but 15MB seems to be the max it ever goes to.

So why on earth does my WTM report onwards to 158MB and bail out?

Would so very much love a clear understanding of this and I see others asking similar questions so I think it could be of use to the broader Tomcat list

Thanks to he who undertake this question! ADC

QAS Ltd.
Developers of QuickAddress Software
Registered in England: No 2582055
Registered in Australia: No 082 851 474
</FONT>

RE: Heap View vs Windows Task Manager

Posted by SH Solutions <sh...@gmx.net>.
Search the archive.

This topic has been discussed on the list at least twice this year in very
much detail.

cu
  Steffen