Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Kiran Ayyagari <ay...@gmail.com> on 2009/09/28 18:34:33 UTC

[ApacheDS Schema] renaming ou=schema partiton

hello guys,

       While talking to Emmanuel on IRC, we thought about replacing the content of the ou=schema partition with
       what cn=schema holds(all schema objects) and renaming the partition to cn=schema.

       This change IMO will make things more clear, e.x having the partition name same as the SSSE name.

       wdyt?

Kiran Ayyagari

Re: [ApacheDS Schema] renaming ou=schema partiton

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.
Kiran Ayyagari wrote:
> hello guys,
>
>       While talking to Emmanuel on IRC, we thought about replacing the
> content of the ou=schema partition with
>       what cn=schema holds(all schema objects) and renaming the
> partition to cn=schema.
>
>       This change IMO will make things more clear, e.x having the
> partition name same as the SSSE name.
>
>       wdyt?
>
> Kiran Ayyagari

Ok, after a short discussion with Alex, it seems that it will violate a
LDAP rule : a subentry cannot have a child.

So merging cn=schema and ou=schema will not be possible...

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org

Re: [ApacheDS Schema] renaming ou=schema partiton

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.
Kiran Ayyagari wrote:
> hello guys,
>
>       While talking to Emmanuel on IRC, we thought about replacing the
> content of the ou=schema partition with
>       what cn=schema holds(all schema objects) and renaming the
> partition to cn=schema.
>
>       This change IMO will make things more clear, e.x having the
> partition name same as the SSSE name.
>
>       wdyt?
>
> Kiran Ayyagari

The implication are not that complex to handle on the server. Right now,
the cn=schema subschema subentry, which is a mandatory element to have,
is generated from the registries content. It has no existence per se. On
the other hand, the ou=schema is a real entry and is also the
contextEntry of the schema partition (which naming context is ou=schema).

Merging both will imply that this element will be completed before being
returned when a client do a search operation.

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org