Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org> on 2015/05/05 21:56:50 UTC

Re: Progress of HTTPCLIENT-1625 (2)

Am 2015-04-17 um 16:47 schrieb Oleg Kalnichevski:
> On Fri, 2015-04-17 at 13:02 +0200, Michael Osipov wrote:

>>> Michael,
>>>
>>> Probably we have to move resolution of this issue to 5.0 given how
>>> disruptive these changes are likely to be.
>>
>> I need to agree here, given than stuff will change anyway in 5.0, this
>> is a good option to fix that in one go.
>>
>> Michael
>>

> Fair enough. I suggest the following course of action:
> 1. Cut HC 4.5 GA release soon
> 2. Branch out 4.5.x
> 3. Trunk to become 5.0
> 4. Remove deprecated stuff from trunk
> 5. Upgrade to Java 1.7
> 6. Start fixing things that require API changes.
> 7. At some point we might decide to back-port some changes to 4.6.x
>
> All these steps are very likely to take a few weeks or even longer, so
> if you have some bandwidth for HC right now just carry on working on the
> HTTPCLIENT-1625 branch but feel free to break APIs as you see fit.

Better later than never.

I'd join your course. Please go ahead with the necessary preparations
for 4.5. I have changed wiki pages accordingly.

Since I have less pressure this month, I will rewrite HttpAuthenticator
and MainClientExec just for this one usecase, regardless of all the rest.

I'll keep you updated.

Michael

PS: Just to cheep you up: the guys over at curl are having the same
challenges making things right in C ;-)