Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Joe Toth <jo...@gmail.com> on 2005/04/21 00:45:13 UTC

Templates and WYSIWYG editors

I'm pretty new to Tapestry, but I have a solid grasp of it.

Basically I'm looking for opinions/suggestions as to maintain a page's
layout and possibly the content when you want to have a common, lets say
header for navigation throughout the whole site. I use dreamweaver for
managing all non-dynamic portions, layout, text and graphics.

On all my pages I could just have a <span> tag that holds the space when
editing in dreamweaver, but then I won't be able to see the header when I am
editing. This is the best solution I came up with so far. Is this the most
common practice everyone is using?

Also, a little off topic, but does anyone know if its possible in
dreamweaver to assign a CSS to a page thats an 'include'. Meaning the page
doesn't have a <link> tag to include the CSS, but the page that calls it
does.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Re: Templates and WYSIWYG editors

Posted by Ben Eng <be...@jetpen.com>.
Personally, I just live with the fact that I cannot preview the page
layout with the headers and other decorations that surround the
content.  Even so, I still want to be able to preview with the correct
stylesheets, despite those stylesheets being pulled in through a
Shell component via a custom Border component.  I do that by: <head
jwcid="$remove$">.

The same technique can be applied to the body.  Copy the necessary
decorations into the page template surrounded by an element that can
be completely removed at runtime using jwcid="$remove$".  This
duplication makes for a code maintenance annoyance, but it does allow
you to preview pages with full fidelity.  One way to mitigate that
annoyance might be to declare an external entity and then use an
entity reference, but I'm not sure if your tools can deal with that
properly --- I've never tried this with dreamweaver. I can only deal
with HTML using emacs; dreamweaver and frontpage make my brain crash.

Ben

Posted by Thomas Meier <th...@fastmail.fm>.
Hi Joe
In the userguide and also on the wiki it says you can use the $content$
directive to specify in a template what part is used as content.
Everything located above this directive will be removed later in the
real html output. Spindle creates this automatically for you.
e.g.
< html >
< head > </ head >
< body >
< ! -- your navigation stuff here, only for preview -->
< ! -- everything above the following tag will be removed later -->
< span jwcid = "$content$" />
< ! -- now comes your real navigation stuff, the border component or
whatever you call it -->
< span jwcid="border" />

As said above the details on $remove$ and $content$ can be found in the
Tapestry User Guide in section 2.

Good luck
Tom