Posted to user@uima.apache.org by Jay Jarman <ja...@va.gov> on 2009/06/17 16:26:24 UTC

Re: UIMA/Eclipse setup issues (My Solution)

Jarman, Jay <Ja...@...> writes:

> I'm running Windows XP Pro w/SP3; JDK 1.5.0_18; Eclipse 3.4.2; UIMA
> 2.2.2.  I don't know what else you might need to know.  Thanks for your
> help.
>
> Jay

If anyone is interested this seems to have taken care of my problem.  I figured
Eclipse couldn't see the UIMA jar because all of the errors were UIMA classes
that couldn't be resolved.  I looked at the Build Path and it has a Libraries
tab.  It had the JRE and UIMA_HOME.  I thought that should do it but for some
reason, UIMA_HOME didn't have the UIMA jar yet the JRE had the java jars.  So I
manually added the UIMA jar and all of the errors disappeared.

I'm not an Eclipse guy and I know this isn't an Eclipse forum but does anyone
know if this is standard behavior?  Is this the way I'm supposed to add the UIMA
jar or is there a more accepted way.  Thanks.

Jay

Re: UIMA/Eclipse setup issues (My Solution)

Posted by Burn Lewis <bu...@gmail.com>.
It'd be nice if UIMA shipped a sample User Library to make it easy for
newcomers to create new Eclipse projects.  UIMA-AS requires more that two
dozen jars!  In the past I've copied the .classpath file from the
uimaj-examples project but that's painful.  I believe the paths have to be
fully specified (with no back slashes on Windows) but we could set it up so
that the adjustExamplePaths script puts in the appropriate UIMA_HOME value
so the file can be imported.  I've tested this for UIMA-AS ... core UIMA
should be easier.

- Burn

UIMA components Maven Repository

Posted by Chris Roeder <ch...@ucdenver.edu>.
I'm working on distributing our integration of various components
into UIMA. I was wondering if Maven had been discussed in the group
as a way of distributing generic NLP components, not just core UIMA
jars or more mainstream Java jars.

-Chris

Re: UIMA/Eclipse setup issues (My Solution)

Posted by Chris Roeder <ch...@ucdenver.edu>.
The eclipse User Library as described by Tong, is needed because  jars
need to be
listed explicitly in the classpath. So if you have a directory with many
jars, it can be quite a chore to set up the classpath. The User Library
makes that easier.

Posted by Tong Fin <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Jarman, Jay" <Ja...@va.gov>.
That's exactly what I was looking for.  So if I create my own
environment variable (UIMA_LIB) pointing to a folder with all the UIMA
jars, I need only point the package to that variable and it gets all the
jars without me assigning each one separately.  Is that correct?

Posted by Tong Fin <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
I would like to comment about "how to use UIMA jars in Eclipse" (NOT about
Maven).

The way Jay did by adding UIMA jars one by one in the Library Tab is "one
way" to solve the missing classes/jars problem. But, it is only applied for
the project that has the problem. You will "repeat" the same steps again and
again to solve the same problem for other projects.

The "better way" is to create a  "User Library" (as mentioned by Tomasso),
called for example UIMA_LIB (I prefer to use "different" name than
UIMA_HOME). When you need UIMA jars in any project, you add UIMA_LIB as a

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
my advice was not to use Maven, I was only asking if Jay was using it...I
agree with Aaron's point of view with Maven, it depends if you're using UIMA
or building it from source...
If it is the first case, I followed the standard Getting started
http://incubator.apache.org/uima/doc-uima-annotator.html to figure out an
Eclipse running environment.
Regards,
Tommaso

Posted by "Jarman, Jay" <Ja...@va.gov>.
That makes me feel better.

I went back through the directions and did find where I missed a step,
duh, but it was exactly what I was doing.  Adding the UIMA jar to the
package.

I guess that by giving it UIMA_HOME isn't enough, you have to give it
the specific jars as well.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Posted by Aaron Kaplan <li...@aaronkaplan.info>.

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.