Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Gregory Chase <gc...@pivotal.io> on 2016/04/01 19:11:32 UTC

[discuss] Install Google Analytics for tracking activity on geode.incubator.apache.org

Dear Geode contributors,
In the community marketing world, awareness tracking through analytics such
as website traffic are very important.

We are currently flying blind on geode.incubator.apache.org.

We don't know answers to questions like:
How many people are hitting our site
Whether they are new or returning
If they are potentially subscribing to email list or downloading software
Where they are coming from
What they're most interested in next

I had access to such information from the private Geode Summit site, and
would really appreciate if we can make this available to the project.

The account access would administered through the project Google account,
which the PPMC currently manages for social media. Similar to how we handle
Twitter, access can be granted to interested individuals at their request
through their personal Google accounts.

 I will also commit to posting public quarterly graphs to dev, or on the
wiki.

Are there any objections to my installing Google Analytics tracking tags
into the Geode website, and setting up this account as described?

Regards,

-Greg

--
Greg Chase

Global Head, Big Data Communities
http://www.pivotal.io/big-data

Pivotal Software
http://www.pivotal.io/

650-215-0477
@GregChase
Blog: http://geekmarketing.biz/

Re: [discuss] Install Google Analytics for tracking activity on geode.incubator.apache.org

Posted by Gregory Chase <gc...@pivotal.io>.
Amazing! We've had the largest spike of traffic on
geode.incubator.apache.org that I've seen in 3 months.  Or, our analytics
are working again!

Thanks Dave!

If anyone is interested in having access, please email your request to
private@geode.incubator.apache.org, or apachegeode@gmail.com.  Please
provide your Google ID since access is administered from our project GMail
account.

Regards,

-Greg

Posted by Nitin Lamba <nl...@apache.org>.
Done [1].

Nitin

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by Nitin Lamba <ni...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Mark Bretl <as...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Dan Smith <ds...@pivotal.io>.
+1

Posted by Jianxia Chen <jc...@pivotal.io>.
+1

Posted by Anthony Baker <ab...@pivotal.io>.
Sounds good!

Posted by Sai Boorlagadda <sb...@pivotal.io>.
+1.

Looks like the main asf site is tracked by GA too.
http://www.apache.org/foundation/policies/privacy.html

On Mon, Apr 4, 2016 at 4:07 PM, Swapnil Bawaskar <sb...@pivotal.io>
wrote:

> +1
> It would be nice to report these stats in the podling report too.
>
> On Fri, Apr 1, 2016 at 10:11 AM, Gregory Chase <gc...@pivotal.io> wrote:
>
> > Dear Geode contributors,
> > In the community marketing world, awareness tracking through analytics
> such
> > as website traffic are very important.
> >
> > We are currently flying blind on geode.incubator.apache.org.
> >
> > We don't know answers to questions like:
> > How many people are hitting our site
> > Whether they are new or returning
> > If they are potentially subscribing to email list or downloading software
> > Where they are coming from
> > What they're most interested in next
> >
> > I had access to such information from the private Geode Summit site, and
> > would really appreciate if we can make this available to the project.
> >
> > The account access would administered through the project Google account,
> > which the PPMC currently manages for social media. Similar to how we
> handle
> > Twitter, access can be granted to interested individuals at their request
> > through their personal Google accounts.
> >
> >  I will also commit to posting public quarterly graphs to dev, or on the
> > wiki.
> >
> > Are there any objections to my installing Google Analytics tracking tags
> > into the Geode website, and setting up this account as described?
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > -Greg
> >
> > --
> > Greg Chase
> >
> > Global Head, Big Data Communities
> > http://www.pivotal.io/big-data
> >
> > Pivotal Software
> > http://www.pivotal.io/
> >
> > 650-215-0477
> > @GregChase
> > Blog: http://geekmarketing.biz/

--
Sai Boorlagadda

Re: [discuss] Install Google Analytics for tracking activity on geode.incubator.apache.org

Posted by Swapnil Bawaskar <sb...@pivotal.io>.
+1