Posted to general@xmlgraphics.apache.org by The Web Maestro <th...@gmail.com> on 2009/05/19 22:15:18 UTC

Re: Sharing Common Content Between Websites [was: Re: svn commit: r773846 - /xmlgraphics/commons/trunk/src/documentation/skinconf.xml]

Some level of sharing is possible, but IMHO the ApacheCon badge
'problem' is screaming for some sort of Apache-wide RSS solution that
automatically takes down 'expired' info and replaces it with upcoming
ones.

As for what is possible, there're a couple of ways to go about it:

1. make all xmlgraphics.a.o sites part of one site

PROs: all sites would share the same 'skin' & could easily share page
elements (e.g., ApacheCon logo)

CONs:
- Batik would lose its purple skin (& look like xmlg.a.o, commons & fop)
- tabs would be shared

2. Add 'common' TAB or TABS for common stuff (tab(s) would like to
section of xmlg.a.o/)

PROs:
- Little change from how site currently operates
- Adds a TAB to see shared content, which linkes to X G Project-level
stuff like PMCs, ASF Sponsor Program, ASF Thanks, etc.

CONs:
- Can't really 'share' page elements

Since Forrest can interact with RSS, it should be possible to create
an element that grabs the image. Someone would still have to maintain
the RSS, which would probably be best if it were a task managed by the
ApacheCon folks...

Clay

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 4:04 AM, Vincent Hennebert <vh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I had to do that change 3 times: one for the XML Graphics website, one
> for Commons, one for FOP. There is a lot of content that could be shared
> between the three websites (plus, eventually, Batik).
> Does anyone have any suggestion about that? Would that be at all
> possible with Forrest?
>
> Thanks,
> Vincent
>

>> Author: vhennebert
>> Date: Tue May 12 10:59:33 2009
>> New Revision: 773846

>> Log:
>> ApacheCon Europe 2009 is over, commented out link
>>
>> Modified:
>>     xmlgraphics/commons/trunk/src/documentation/skinconf.xml

The Web Maestro
--
<th...@gmail.com> - <http://ourlil.com/>
- HH The 14th Dalai Lama of Tibet

Posted by The Web Maestro <th...@gmail.com>.
A couple of additional notes:

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 1:05 PM, The Web Maestro
<th...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Other options:
> - include it as RSS (requiring regeneration), and include a
> JavaScript/AJAX to replace it (e.g., via .innerHTML) if it's updated

By the above, I mean that we could include the RSS (which would
require regeneration for updated HTML to be rendered) *and* we could
include JavaScript/Ajax to replace the content with updated
information (which would *not* require regeneration to keep the info
current). Info on including JavaScript (& CSS) in a Forrest site is
available here:

http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_80/faq.html#javascript

> - <ack!>iframe it</ack!>

The following FAQ indicates how to include HTML in standard HTML
format (as opposed to Forrest's xdoc format):
http://forrest.apache.org/docs_0_80/faq.html#rawHTML

Regards,

The Web Maestro

Posted by The Web Maestro <th...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 12:29 PM, Simon Pepping <sp...@leverkruid.eu> wrote:
> On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 12:31:06PM +0100, Vincent Hennebert wrote:
>> The Web Maestro wrote:
>> > Since Forrest can interact with RSS, it should be possible to create
>> > an element that grabs the image. Someone would still have to maintain
>> > the RSS, which would probably be best if it were a task managed by the
>> > ApacheCon folks...
>
> Each website would still have to be regenerated after each new RSS
> message. Or do I miss the idea?

D'oh! I forgot about that. I don't see that as too big a deal, as all
it would take is someone noticing it's old, and then re-generating the
site(s)...

Posted by Simon Pepping <sp...@leverkruid.eu>.
On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 12:31:06PM +0100, Vincent Hennebert wrote:
> The Web Maestro wrote:
> > Some level of sharing is possible, but IMHO the ApacheCon badge
> > 'problem' is screaming for some sort of Apache-wide RSS solution that
> > automatically takes down 'expired' info and replaces it with upcoming
> > ones.
>
> That???s actually quite true. Still I think there are other configuration
> items that are duplicated at the moment, and that it would be good if we
> could share them. 90% of the skinconf.xml files are identical between
> FOP and XML Graphics...

For ASF and other events or other announcements dynamic inclusion of a
common page (project or ASF wide) would work.

> I was thinking of playing with Subversion External Definitions [1] to
> store the common stuff, and possibly xinclude it in the applicable
> files. Remains to see if that???s doable with Forrest.
>
> [1] http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch07s04.html

Current documentation is at:
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.5/svn.advanced.externals.html

home page: http://www.leverkruid.eu

Posted by Vincent Hennebert <vh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Clay,

The Web Maestro wrote:
> Some level of sharing is possible, but IMHO the ApacheCon badge
> 'problem' is screaming for some sort of Apache-wide RSS solution that
> automatically takes down 'expired' info and replaces it with upcoming
> ones.

That’s actually quite true. Still I think there are other configuration
items that are duplicated at the moment, and that it would be good if we
could share them. 90% of the skinconf.xml files are identical between
FOP and XML Graphics...

> As for what is possible, there're a couple of ways to go about it:
>
> 1. make all xmlgraphics.a.o sites part of one site
>
> PROs: all sites would share the same 'skin' & could easily share page
> elements (e.g., ApacheCon logo)
>
> CONs:
> - Batik would lose its purple skin (& look like xmlg.a.o, commons & fop)
> - tabs would be shared
>
> 2. Add 'common' TAB or TABS for common stuff (tab(s) would like to
> section of xmlg.a.o/)
>
> PROs:
> - Little change from how site currently operates
> - Adds a TAB to see shared content, which linkes to X G Project-level
> stuff like PMCs, ASF Sponsor Program, ASF Thanks, etc.
>
> CONs:
> - Can't really 'share' page elements

I’m not sure having a single website for all projects would be a good
idea. Each site is already pretty big. I like your second solution
however, maybe it’s possible to put in the common tab what currently
corresponds to the XML Graphics website.

Regarding the skins, I think it would be good if every site were sharing
a common one. That would stress the fact that they are all part of the
same project. Yet each site could have a colour scheme of its own.
What the shared skin would define is the shape of the menu and other
elements, the placement of stuff like logos, ‘breadcrumb trail’, content
of the footer, etc.

I was thinking of playing with Subversion External Definitions [1] to
store the common stuff, and possibly xinclude it in the applicable
files. Remains to see if that’s doable with Forrest.

[1] http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch07s04.html

> Since Forrest can interact with RSS, it should be possible to create
> an element that grabs the image. Someone would still have to maintain
> the RSS, which would probably be best if it were a task managed by the
> ApacheCon folks...
>
> Clay
>
> On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 4:04 AM, Vincent Hennebert wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I had to do that change 3 times: one for the XML Graphics website, one
>> for Commons, one for FOP. There is a lot of content that could be shared
>> between the three websites (plus, eventually, Batik).
>> Does anyone have any suggestion about that? Would that be at all
>> possible with Forrest?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Vincent

Vincent