Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by s d <s....@gmail.com> on 2008/01/06 07:04:02 UTC

Boosting a Field (Standard Handler)

How do i boost a field (not a term) using the standard handler syntax? I
know i can do that with the DisMax but I'm trying to keep myself in the
standard one.Can this be done ?
Thanks,

Re: Boosting a Field (Standard Handler)

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: How do i boost a field (not a term) using the standard handler syntax? I
: know i can do that with the DisMax but I'm trying to keep myself in the
: standard one.Can this be done ?

there is no such thing as boosting a field ... only boosting a query.

when you specify something like "yakko^3" in the qf for the dismax
handler, that is just syntax for asking that all queries dismax generates
for you involving the field yakko should have a boost of 3.

i suppose similar syntax could be added to the standard handler (ie: a
param used by the query parser such that any time it sees a field name it
applies a specific boost to that query) but it doesn't currently exist.

-Hoss