Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Ekaterina Dimitrova <e....@gmail.com> on 2022/04/25 15:17:59 UTC

Code freeze starts 1st May. Anything to be addressed?

Hi everyone,

Kind reminder that 1st May is around the corner. What does this mean? Our
code freeze starts on 1st May and my understanding is that only bug fixing
can go into the 4.1 branch.
If anyone has anything to raise, now is a good time. On my end I saw a few
things for this week that we should probably put to completion:
- CASSANDRA-17571 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-17571> -
I have to close this one, it is in progress; new types in Config is good to
be in before the freeze I guess, even if It is not yaml change
- CASSANDRA-17557 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-17557> -
we need to take care of the parameters so we don't have to deprecate and
 support anything not actually needed; I think it is probably more or less
done
- CASSANDRA-17379 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-17379> -
adds a new flag around config; I think it is more or less done, depends on
final CI and second reviewer maybe needed?
- JMX intercept Cassandra exceptions, I think David mentioned a rebase was
needed
- CASSANDRA-17212 - The config property minimum_keyspace_rf and their
nodetool getter and setter commands are new to 4.1. They are suitable to be
ported to guardrails, and if we do this port in 4.1 we won't need to
deprecate that property and nodetool commands in the next release, just one
release after their introduction.

I guess the failing tests we see could be fixed after the freeze but no API
changes.

Thanks everyone for all the hard work. Please don’t hesitate to raise the
flag with questions, concerns or any help needed.

Best regards,
Ekaterina

Re: Code freeze starts 1st May. Anything to be addressed?

Posted by Ekaterina Dimitrova <e....@gmail.com>.
For the record, I mentioned
CASSANDRA-17571 and I think I am almost ready, testing and polishing
details at the moment, but I don’t want to rush the review. It won’t change
the yaml or any behavior, fixes a bug so we might commit it after 1st. Just
figured it is nice to update here after I mentioned it earlier in case of
any concerns.
Best regards,
Ekaterina

Posted by Stefan Miklosovic <st...@instaclustr.com>.

Posted by "benedict@apache.org" <be...@apache.org>.

From: Paulo Motta <pa...@gmail.com>
Date: Wednesday, 27 April 2022 at 19:09
To: Cassandra DEV <de...@cassandra.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Code freeze starts 1st May. Anything to be addressed?

Posted by Paulo Motta <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "benedict@apache.org" <be...@apache.org>.

Posted by Paulo Motta <pa...@gmail.com>.
To clarify a bit more, I don't think that ticket adds ability to encode
metadata into host IDs, Cassandra still interprets the host uuid as a
permanent opaque identifier. So I don't get why this can be a potential
problem if we add the necessary host_id collision check.

Users may want to control their node UUIDs for inventory purposes, so this
seems like a valid use case for this feature.

Posted by Paulo Motta <pa...@gmail.com>.
> starting a new node with the same id as an existing live node will cause
a collision

Is this not fixed if we add a simple collision check for existing host id?
We can file a bug request and add this check which should be fairly
straightforward.

>  it would be pretty untenable to base any new/improved cluster membership
or data placement implementations on host id if the system isn't in control
of assigning those.

Do we intend to encode any information on the host UUID in the near future?
If not, I don't see why we can't just keep treating these as permanent
opaque UUIDs, as they always have been.

We can always remove this if we change the host identifier to be something
else in the future.

Posted by Sam Tunnicliffe <sa...@beobal.com>.
[...]

As for things further down the line, it would be pretty untenable to base any new/improved cluster membership or data placement implementations on host id if the system isn't in control of assigning those. So even if only a handful of power users might actually make use of the feature, its very existence would constrain what we can assume/assert about host ids going forward. Given that drawback, the fact that this is a very niche feature makes it even less compelling.

Posted by Paulo Motta <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sam Tunnicliffe <sa...@beobal.com>.

Posted by Stefan Miklosovic <st...@instaclustr.com>.
16456 is crucial for me to get in. We are at the end. Should be all
resolved by end of this week.

Posted by Paulo Motta <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ekaterina,

Posted by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>.

> Kind reminder that 1st May is around the corner. What does this mean? Our code freeze starts on 1st May and my understanding is that only bug fixing can go into the 4.1 branch.

The code branch cassandra-4.1 has been created. Trunk is now dev towards 4.2

Jira has a new version 4.1.x for unresolved issues intended for the
cassandra-4.1 branch.
Trunk issues continue to use 4.X