Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by zhijiang <wa...@aliyun.com.INVALID> on 2018/12/03 08:38:13 UTC

回复:[DISCUSS] Unified Core API for Streaming and Batch

Hi haibo,

Thanks for bringing this discussion!

 I reviewd the google doc and really like the idea of unifying the stream and batch in all stacks. Currently only network runtime stack is unified for both stream and batch jobs, but the compilation, operator and runtime task stacks are all separate. The stream stack developed frequently and behaved dominantly these years, but the batch stack was touched less. If they are unified into one stack, the batch jobs can also get benefits from all the improvements. I think it is a very big work but worth doing, left some concerns:

1. The current job graph generation for batch covers complicated optimization such as cost-based estimate, plan etc. Would this part also be considered retaining during integrating with stream graph generation?

2. I saw some other special improvements for batch scenarios in the doc, such as input selection while reading. I acknowledge these roles for special batch scenarios, but they seem not the blocker for unification motivation, because current batch jobs can also work without these improvements. So the further improvments can be separated into individual topics after we reaching the unification of stream and batch firstly.

Best,
Zhijiang

Posted by Haibo Sun <su...@163.com>.
Hi All,

Thank Aljoscha for further spitting up topics.

I will start separate threads on each topic which you propose.

Best,
Haibo

Aljoscha Krettek-2 wrote

Posted by Aljoscha Krettek <al...@apache.org>.
Hi All,

Posted by Shuai Xu <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi all

Posted by Guowei Ma <gu...@gmail.com>.
Hi, all
Thanks to Haibo for initiating this discussion in the community.

  - Relationship of DataStream, DataSet, and Table API
Table/DataStream/Dataset does have different aspects. For example,
DataStream can access State and Table cannot. DataStream can be easily
extended by users because they do not need to understand complex
optimization logic. On the other hand, as a developer, I think they need to
cooperate. When I develop a job, I want to use Table, DataStream, and
Dataset at the same time. Now DataStream and DataSet can't be converted to
each other.

  - Future of DataSet (subsumed in data stream, or remains independent)
IMO, if the DataSet can be converted to a DataStream, there may be no
difference if the DataSet is independent or included in the DataStream.

  - What happens with iterations
It seems a very interesting question of what iterations should look like.
There may be two options here, one based on compilation and one based on
interaction. Both options are beneficial, and based on compilation,
FailOver may be more controllable and scheduling more efficient. The
interaction-based approach is more flexible, but fault tolerance can be a
bit more difficult. Choosing these two methods may have a certain impact on
the subsequent Operator API design. At this point, I want to hear what the
community thinks.

Kurt Young <yk...@gmail.com> 于2018年12月5日周三 上午11:09写道:

Posted by Kurt Young <yk...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,