Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Dmitry Kan <dm...@gmail.com> on 2011/03/22 12:51:09 UTC

solr on the cloud

hey folks,

I have tried running the sharded solr with zoo keeper on a single machine.
The SOLR code is from current trunk. It runs nicely. Can you please point me
to a page, where I can check the status of the solr on the cloud development
and available features, apart from http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrCloud ?

Basically, of high interest is checking out the Map-Reduce for distributed
faceting, is it even possible with the trunk?

Dmitry Kan

Re: solr on the cloud

Posted by Dmitry Kan <dm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Otis,

Ok, thanks.

No, the question about distributed faceting was in a 'guess' mode as
faceting seems to be a good fit to MR. I probably need to follow the jira
tickets closer for a follow-up, but was initially wondering if I missed some
documentation on the topic, which didn't apparently happen.

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 5:34 AM, Otis Gospodnetic <
otis_gospodnetic@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> > I have tried running the sharded solr with zoo keeper on a  single
> machine.
>
> > The SOLR code is from current trunk. It runs nicely. Can you  please
> point me
> > to a page, where I can check the status of the solr on the  cloud
> development
> > and available features, apart from http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrCloud?
>
> I'm afraid that's the most comprehensive documentation so far.
>
> > Basically, of high interest  is checking out the Map-Reduce for
> distributed
> > faceting, is it even possible  with the trunk?
>
> Hm, MR for distributed faceting?  Maybe I missed this... can you point to a
> place that mentions this?
>
> Otis
> ----

Dmitry Kan

Re: solr on the cloud

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

Re: solr on the cloud

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.

On Fri, 25 Mar 2011 14:26 +0200, "Dmitry Kan" <dm...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hi, Upayavira
>
> Probably I'm confusing the terms here. When I say "distributed faceting"
> I'm
> more into SOLR on the cloud (e.g. HDFS + MR + cloud of commodity
> machines)
> rather than into traditional multicore/sharded SOLR on a single or
> multiple
> servers with non-distributed file systems (is that what you mean when you
> refer to "distribution of facet requests across hosts"?)

I mean the latter I am afraid. I'm very interested in how the former
might be implemented, but as far as I understand it, Zookeeper does not
take you all the way there. It co-ordinates nodes (e.g. telling a slave
where its master is), but if you have to distribute an index over
multiple hosts, it will be sharded between multiple solr hosts, with
each of those hosts having a local index.

You are presumably talking about a scenario where you effectively have
one index, spanning multiple hosts (we have code to distribute queries
across multiple segments, why can't we do it across multiple hosts?).
I've heard of work to do this with Infinispan underneath, but not within
the core Lucene/Solr.

Upayavira

> On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 1:57 PM, Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk> wrote:
>

> > On Fri, 25 Mar 2011 13:44 +0200, "Dmitry Kan" <dm...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > > Hi Yonik,
> > >
> > > Oh, this is great. Is distributed faceting available in the trunk? What
> > > is
> > > the basic server setup needed for trying this out, is it cloud with HDFS
> > > and
> > > SOLR with zookepers?
> > > Any chance to see the related documentation? :)
> >
> > Distributed faceting has been available for a long time, and is
> > available in the 1.4.1 release.
> >
> > The distribution of facet requests across hosts happens in the
> > background. There's no real difference (in query syntax) between a
> > standard facet query and a distributed one.
> >
> > i.e. you don't need SolrCloud nor Zookeeper for it. (they may provide
> > other benefits, but you don't need them for distributed faceting).
> >
> > Upayavira

> > in,
> > > >

> > > :) this sounds pretty strange to me as well. It was only my guess, that
> > > if
> > > you have MR as computational model and a cloud beneath it, you could
> > > naturally map facet fields to their counts inside single documents (no
> > > matter, where they are, be it shards or "single" index) and pass them
> > > onto
> > > reducers.

> > > --
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Dmitry Kan
> > >
> > ---
> > Enterprise Search Consultant at Sourcesense UK,
> > Making Sense of Open Source
> >

> --
> Regards,
>
> Dmitry Kan

---

Re: solr on the cloud

Posted by Dmitry Kan <dm...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Jason, this looks very relevant!

Dmitry Kan

Re: solr on the cloud

Posted by Jason Rutherglen <ja...@gmail.com>.
Dmitry,

Re: solr on the cloud

Posted by Dmitry Kan <dm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Otis,

Re: solr on the cloud

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Dan,

Re: solr on the cloud

Posted by Dmitry Kan <dm...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Upayavira

Probably I'm confusing the terms here. When I say "distributed faceting" I'm
more into SOLR on the cloud (e.g. HDFS + MR + cloud of commodity machines)
rather than into traditional multicore/sharded SOLR on a single or multiple
servers with non-distributed file systems (is that what you mean when you
refer to "distribution of facet requests across hosts"?)

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 1:57 PM, Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Mar 2011 13:44 +0200, "Dmitry Kan" <dm...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi Yonik,
> >
> > Oh, this is great. Is distributed faceting available in the trunk? What
> > is
> > the basic server setup needed for trying this out, is it cloud with HDFS
> > and
> > SOLR with zookepers?
> > Any chance to see the related documentation? :)
>
> Distributed faceting has been available for a long time, and is
> available in the 1.4.1 release.
>
> The distribution of facet requests across hosts happens in the
> background. There's no real difference (in query syntax) between a
> standard facet query and a distributed one.
>
> i.e. you don't need SolrCloud nor Zookeeper for it. (they may provide
> other benefits, but you don't need them for distributed faceting).
>
> Upayavira
>
> > On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 1:35 PM, Yonik Seeley
> > <yo...@lucidimagination.com>wrote:

> > > distributed
> > >
> > > Solr already has distributed faceting, and it's much more performant
> > > than a map-reduce implementation would be.
> > >
> > > I've also seen a product use the term "map reduce" incorrectly... as
> in,
> > > we "map" the request to each shard, and then "reduce" the results to a
> > > single list (of course, that's not actually map-reduce at all ;-)
> > >

> > :) this sounds pretty strange to me as well. It was only my guess, that
> > if
> > you have MR as computational model and a cloud beneath it, you could
> > naturally map facet fields to their counts inside single documents (no
> > matter, where they are, be it shards or "single" index) and pass them
> > onto
> > reducers.
> >

> > > -Yonik
> > > http://www.lucenerevolution.org -- Lucene/Solr User Conference, May
> > > 25-26, San Francisco
> > >

> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Dmitry Kan
> >
> ---
> Enterprise Search Consultant at Sourcesense UK,
> Making Sense of Open Source

Dmitry Kan

Re: DIH relating multiple DataSources

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: Subject: DIH relating multiple DataSources
:     +-N3HFNRbT1Cx4gvkv-A=CgW5FeMuOxbXm@mail.gmail.com>
:  <AA...@mail.gmail.com>
:  <13...@webmail.messagingengine.com>

http://people.apache.org/~hossman/#threadhijack
Thread Hijacking on Mailing Lists

When starting a new discussion on a mailing list, please do not reply to
an existing message, instead start a fresh email.  Even if you change the
subject line of your email, other mail headers still track which thread
you replied to and your question is "hidden" in that thread and gets less
attention.   It makes following discussions in the mailing list archives
particularly difficult.

-Hoss

DIH relating multiple DataSources

Posted by je...@trend.com.tw.
Hi All,

I'm a newbie to SOLR and is hoping to get some help.

I was able to get DIH to work with one datasource. What I'm trying to achieve is using two datasources to build my document. Below is my data-config:

<dataConfig>
<dataSource name="localDB" driver="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver" url="jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/ebook" user="ebook" password="masked" batchSize="1" />
<dataSource name="remoteDB" driver="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver" url="jdbc:mysql://tw-stntlab1:3306/test" user="root" password="masked" batchSize="1" />
    <document name="epub">
		<entity dataSource="localDB" rootEntity="true" name="epub" pk="ID" query="select * from epub">
            <field column="ID" name="id" />
            <field column="Name" name="url" />
            <field column="Author" name="content" />
			<entity dataSource="remoteDB" name="test" query="select TESTCOLUMN from jctest where ID='${epub.ID}'">
				<field column="TESTCOLUMN" name="title" />
			</entity>
        </entity>
    </document>
</dataConfig>

If the above possible? I can't seem to get my "title" field above populated from a second datasource but the fields identified in my rootEntity using the first datasource works perfectly fine.

Thanks,
Jeff
TREND MICRO EMAIL NOTICE
The information contained in this email and any attachments is confidential and may be subject to copyright or other intellectual property protection. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to use or disclose this information, and we request that you notify us by reply mail or telephone and delete the original message from your mail system.

Re: solr on the cloud

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.

wrote:
> Hi Yonik,
>
> Oh, this is great. Is distributed faceting available in the trunk? What
> is
> the basic server setup needed for trying this out, is it cloud with HDFS
> and
> SOLR with zookepers?
> Any chance to see the related documentation? :)

Distributed faceting has been available for a long time, and is
available in the 1.4.1 release.

The distribution of facet requests across hosts happens in the
background. There's no real difference (in query syntax) between a
standard facet query and a distributed one.

i.e. you don't need SolrCloud nor Zookeeper for it. (they may provide
other benefits, but you don't need them for distributed faceting).

Upayavira

> On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 1:35 PM, Yonik Seeley
> <yo...@lucidimagination.com>wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 7:51 AM, Dmitry Kan <dm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Basically, of high interest is checking out the Map-Reduce for
> > distributed
> > > faceting, is it even possible with the trunk?
> >
> > Solr already has distributed faceting, and it's much more performant
> > than a map-reduce implementation would be.
> >
> > I've also seen a product use the term "map reduce" incorrectly... as in,
> > we "map" the request to each shard, and then "reduce" the results to a
> > single list (of course, that's not actually map-reduce at all ;-)
> >

> :) this sounds pretty strange to me as well. It was only my guess, that
> if
> you have MR as computational model and a cloud beneath it, you could
> naturally map facet fields to their counts inside single documents (no
> matter, where they are, be it shards or "single" index) and pass them
> onto
> reducers.
>

> > -Yonik
> > http://www.lucenerevolution.org -- Lucene/Solr User Conference, May
> > 25-26, San Francisco
> >

> --
> Regards,
>
> Dmitry Kan

---

Re: solr on the cloud

Posted by Dmitry Kan <dm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Yonik,

Oh, this is great. Is distributed faceting available in the trunk? What is
the basic server setup needed for trying this out, is it cloud with HDFS and
SOLR with zookepers?
Any chance to see the related documentation? :)

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 1:35 PM, Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 7:51 AM, Dmitry Kan <dm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Basically, of high interest is checking out the Map-Reduce for
> distributed
> > faceting, is it even possible with the trunk?
>
> Solr already has distributed faceting, and it's much more performant
> than a map-reduce implementation would be.
>
> I've also seen a product use the term "map reduce" incorrectly... as in,
> we "map" the request to each shard, and then "reduce" the results to a
> single list (of course, that's not actually map-reduce at all ;-)

:) this sounds pretty strange to me as well. It was only my guess, that if
you have MR as computational model and a cloud beneath it, you could
naturally map facet fields to their counts inside single documents (no
matter, where they are, be it shards or "single" index) and pass them onto
reducers.

> -Yonik
> http://www.lucenerevolution.org -- Lucene/Solr User Conference, May
> 25-26, San Francisco