Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by kr0nograffik <kr...@sasktel.net> on 2002/03/01 06:37:36 UTC

Help with .htaccess

  I have recently installed the apache 1.3.23, but i seem to be having
trouble with getting authentication through .htaccess files to work...

  I have read the documentation on this type of authentication and to my
understanding if I place it in a folder it should pop-up a password box
when going to that page through a web-browser. So I made a .htaccess file
through the touch command, then I edited it with vim with all the info it
claim to need from the documentation. I made it direct to a password file
and everything with some users I created. No matter what I've tried I can't
get the password dialog to come up when I access that folder...

 If someone knows the answer or has a work-around to this please help.

--
Every message PGP signed

Re: Help with .htaccess

Posted by RuneImp <ru...@imptech.net>.
Posting the actual contents of the .htaccess file
might help...

-=- RuneImp
ImpTech - Web Design, Hosting & Computer Tech
http://imptech.net
rune@imptech.net

Re: Help with .htaccess

Posted by RuneImp <ru...@imptech.net>.
Looks fine to me. Is the directory & password file
readable & executable by all or at least Apache?

Hmmm, rereading your 1st post I see that the dialog
doesn't pop-up in the first place. If that is the
case then you need to edit your httpd.conf & change

AllowOverride None

AllowOverride All

or

AllowOverride AuthConfig

Read more at

http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/core.html#allowoverride

Posted by Carlos Costa Portela <cc...@servidores.net>.
Perhaps you must include the lines in your httpd.conf; yes, I know. It
must run without it, but...

<Directory /path/to/your/dir>
AuthType ...
</Directory>

  http://www.tertulandia.com : sea cual sea tu tema... allí está tu sitio!

 _______Carlos Costa Portela_________________________________________________
| e-mail:  ccosta@servidores.net | home page: http://casa.ccp.servidores.net |
|_____Tódalas persoas maiores foron nenos antes, pero poucas se lembran______|

Re: Help with .htaccess

Posted by kr0nograffik <kr...@sasktel.net>.
okay here is the contents of the .htaccess fike:

AuthType Basic
AuthName "Private"
AuthUserFile /usr/local/apache/passwd/password
Require user daphio

in reply yo that other guy:

	I have run htpassword, because if you actually read what I said you would
have noticed "I made it direct to a password file", I even made some users...
i.e) daphio

On Friday 01 March 2002 12:16 am, you wrote:
> u should run htpasswd first
>
> --- kr0nograffik <kr...@sasktel.net> wrote:
> >   I have recently installed the apache 1.3.23, but i
> > seem to be having
> > trouble with getting authentication through
> > .htaccess files to work...
> >
> >   I have read the documentation on this type of
> > authentication and to my
> > understanding if I place it in a folder it should
> > pop-up a password box
> > when going to that page through a web-browser. So I
> > made a .htaccess file
> > through the touch command, then I edited it with vim
> > with all the info it
> > claim to need from the documentation. I made it
> > direct to a password file
> > and everything with some users I created. No matter
> > what I've tried I can't
> > get the password dialog to come up when I access
> > that folder...
> >
> >  If someone knows the answer or has a work-around to
> > this please help.
> >
> > --
> > Every message PGP signed
> >
> > ATTACHMENT part 2 application/pgp-keys name=my pgp
>
> key

> > For additional commands, e-mail:
>
> users-help@httpd.apache.org

Every message PGP signed