Posted to dev@trafficserver.apache.org by James Peach <ja...@me.com> on 2012/01/05 07:23:23 UTC

hostdb compatibility with 3.0.2

Hi all,

I just spent the evening trying to bisect why TSHostLookup was returning an invalid sockaddr. It turned out that removing the host.db cache fixed the problem. Is there an incompatibility with 3.0.2? Is there any versioning in the cache file format that would detect this?

Re: hostdb compatibility with 3.0.2

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.
On 1/5/12 9:34 AM, James Peach wrote:
> On Jan 5, 2012, at 6:28 AM, Alan M. Carroll wrote:
>
>> The cache format was changed to support IPv6 and the DB version was bumped, in revision 1156401. I'm not sure what revision 3.0.2 was though.
> 3.0.2 was way before those changes because it still uses uint32_t for IP addresses :)
>
> This seems likely to bite people upgrading ... are distro packagers expected to take care of it, or do we need to detect and upgrade it on startup?

Hmmm, the ideas have generally been that any time we "break" any of the DB
compatibilities, we bump the version number, and the runtime system should
take care of reinitializing it. Did we forget to bump the version or
something here ?

-- Leif

Re: hostdb compatibility with 3.0.2

Posted by James Peach <ja...@me.com>.

Posted by Igor Galić <i....@brainsware.org>.

> The cache format was changed to support IPv6 and the DB version was
> bumped, in revision 1156401. I'm not sure what revision 3.0.2 was
> though.

It doesn't quite matter which revision 3.0.2 (it was tagged in
r1210242) - none of the IPv6 changes have been backported to 3.0.x

> Thursday, January 5, 2012, 12:23:23 AM, you wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
>
> > I just spent the evening trying to bisect why TSHostLookup was
> > returning an invalid sockaddr. It turned out that removing the
> > host.db cache fixed the problem. Is there an incompatibility with
> > 3.0.2? Is there any versioning in the cache file format that would
> > detect this?

Igor Galić

Tel: +43 (0) 664 886 22 883
Mail: i.galic@brainsware.org