Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Malcolm Rowe <ma...@farside.org.uk> on 2006/06/12 11:05:41 UTC

Cygwin and config.nice

Hi Max,

In r19919 (currently proposed for backport to 1.4.x), you reverted the
config.nice hack that you introduced in r13115, which added 'eval' at
the start of the config.nice command line to ensure the file could be
rewritten by configure.

As far as I can see, the hack is no longer required on Cygwin (at least,
the reversion doesn't seem to break anything), but I'm not aware how to
reproduce the original problem, so I can't be sure.

Could you confirm why you reverted the hack?

Thanks,
Malcolm

Re: Cygwin and config.nice

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
On 6/19/06, Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net> wrote:
> I feel that saving one previous config.nice as config.nice.old is a
> globally useful feature, and that it avoids a Cygwin problem is just a
> co-incidence.
>
> Preserving an old config.nice is a useful defence against configuring
> with a different set of arguments, and then later realizing you've
> accidentally overwritten your standard config.nice.

Adding a config.nice.old is in effect having a backup of the backup.
config.nice is the first backup so that people can recreate their
current build environment through their last configure arguments.
Adding an additional layer on top of that is largely unnecessary and
would just serve to confuse our users by adding yet another file in
their build dir that makes no logical sense.  If people are worried
about trouncing their config.nice by reinvoking it, they should rename
their 'local' copy to something else - manually.

My veto remains.  -- justin

Re: Cygwin and config.nice

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> On 6/13/06, Malcolm Rowe <ma...@farside.org.uk> wrote:
>> Ah, thanks for explaining that - I hadn't noticed that it moved the
>> old config.nice out the way first (and that also explains the failure
>> I found - I used a config.nice generated by r19919 with a pre-19919
>> tree).
>
> I am -1 on the portion of this change that creates a config.nice.old
> in the build directory.
>
>> Do you think we should add a comment to document the reason that we're
>> moving the old config.nice out of the way first?  It's not immediately
>> obvious that we're doing it to appease Cygwin.
>
> I don't care about cygwin - but we shouldn't be adding turds to the
> build system to work around a buggy OS.  If you must have that file
> present on cygwin - fine, but it shouldn't be present anywhere else.
> -- justin

I feel that saving one previous config.nice as config.nice.old is a
globally useful feature, and that it avoids a Cygwin problem is just a
co-incidence.

Preserving an old config.nice is a useful defence against configuring
with a different set of arguments, and then later realizing you've
accidentally overwritten your standard config.nice.

Max.

Re: Cygwin and config.nice

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.

Re: Cygwin and config.nice

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
Malcolm Rowe wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 06:05:10PM +0100, Max Bowsher wrote:
>> Malcolm Rowe wrote:
>>> As far as I can see, the hack is no longer required on Cygwin (at least,
>>> the reversion doesn't seem to break anything), but I'm not aware how to
>>> reproduce the original problem, so I can't be sure.
>>>
>>> Could you confirm why you reverted the hack?
>> Because it now does it a better way.
>>
>> Instead of exec-ing configure, in order to get the config.nice file
>> closed before configure tries to re-write it, now configure moves the
>> old config.nice aside and writes a new one.
>>
>> This has the benefit that the path to configure doesn't get made
>> absolute, thus constraining the use of the config.nice file to the
>> particular current directory.
>>

> Ah, thanks for explaining that - I hadn't noticed that it moved the
> old config.nice out the way first (and that also explains the failure
> I found - I used a config.nice generated by r19919 with a pre-19919 tree).
>
> Do you think we should add a comment to document the reason that we're
> moving the old config.nice out of the way first?  It's not immediately
> obvious that we're doing it to appease Cygwin.

We could - I didn't because I figured that we were saving a previous
config.nice just because it was a generally nice thing to do, and it
just coincidentally helped Cygwin out.

> Also, should we add .config.nice.old to svn:ignore?

That, we should definitely do.

Max.

Re: Cygwin and config.nice

Posted by Malcolm Rowe <ma...@farside.org.uk>.
On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 06:05:10PM +0100, Max Bowsher wrote:
> Malcolm Rowe wrote:
> > As far as I can see, the hack is no longer required on Cygwin (at least,
> > the reversion doesn't seem to break anything), but I'm not aware how to
> > reproduce the original problem, so I can't be sure.
> >
> > Could you confirm why you reverted the hack?
>
> Because it now does it a better way.
>
> Instead of exec-ing configure, in order to get the config.nice file
> closed before configure tries to re-write it, now configure moves the
> old config.nice aside and writes a new one.
>
> This has the benefit that the path to configure doesn't get made
> absolute, thus constraining the use of the config.nice file to the
> particular current directory.

Ah, thanks for explaining that - I hadn't noticed that it moved the
old config.nice out the way first (and that also explains the failure
I found - I used a config.nice generated by r19919 with a pre-19919 tree).

Do you think we should add a comment to document the reason that we're
moving the old config.nice out of the way first?  It's not immediately
obvious that we're doing it to appease Cygwin.

Also, should we add .config.nice.old to svn:ignore?

Regards,
Malcolm

Re: Cygwin and config.nice

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
Malcolm Rowe wrote:
> Hi Max,
>
> In r19919 (currently proposed for backport to 1.4.x), you reverted the
> config.nice hack that you introduced in r13115, which added 'eval' at
> the start of the config.nice command line to ensure the file could be
> rewritten by configure.

'exec', not 'eval'.

Re: Cygwin and config.nice

Posted by Malcolm Rowe <ma...@farside.org.uk>.
On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 12:05:41PM +0100, Malcolm Rowe wrote:
> As far as I can see, the hack is no longer required on Cygwin (at least,
> the reversion doesn't seem to break anything), but I'm not aware how to
> reproduce the original problem, so I can't be sure.

Correction: though I can't work out how to reproduce it, I just got an
error message on Cygwin when re-running configure through config.nice,
so I guess this problem is still present.

Regards,
Malcolm