Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Jody Schofield <js...@ca.ibm.com> on 2004/07/14 21:21:25 UTC

How do I display unicode (non-ascii) characters using SVGGraphics2D?

Hello,
I'm trying to create an SVG file using the SVGGraphics2D so that I get the
following:

<text ...>&#xAB;Label&#xBB;</text>

i.e. <<Label>>

The << and >> are single characters.  When I call drawString(
"&#AB;Label&#BB", x, y );  I get <text ...>&amp;#xAB...

Thanks for any and all help.
Jody

_____
Jody Schofield
Software Developer, Aurora Shapes Team
Rational Software / IBM Software Group
tel: 613.591.7047     jschofie@ca.ibm.com

Re: How do I display unicode (non-ascii) characters using SVGGraphics2D?

Posted by Thomas DeWeese <Th...@Kodak.com>.
Jody Schofield wrote:

> Hey Archie,
> I tried your suggestion but that didn't seem to help either.  It just
> displays "\u00AB...".

    What just displays "\u00AB"?
    If this is done from java nothing downstream should see it.

Re: How do I display unicode (non-ascii) characters using SVGGraphics2D?

Posted by Jody Schofield <js...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hey Archie,
I tried your suggestion but that didn't seem to help either.  It just
displays "\u00AB...".

thanks,
Jody

Archie Cobbs <ar...@dellroad.org>
07/14/2004 03:32 PM
Please respond to
"Batik Users" <ba...@xml.apache.org>

Batik Users <ba...@xml.apache.org>
cc

Subject

Jody Schofield wrote:
> I'm trying to create an SVG file using the SVGGraphics2D so that I get
the
> following:
>
> <text ...>&#xAB;Label&#xBB;</text>
>
> i.e. <<Label>>
>
> The << and >> are single characters.  When I call drawString(
> "&#AB;Label&#BB", x, y );  I get <text ...>&amp;#xAB...

The ampersand "escape" is an XML thing, not a Java thing.
In Java you can use \u for non-ASCII characters.

So try something like this..

  drawString("\u00ABLabel\u00BB");

Not sure if << and >> are Unicode characters though. You may need
to use different corresponding Unicode values.

-Archie

Re: How do I display unicode (non-ascii) characters using SVGGraphics2D?

Posted by Archie Cobbs <ar...@dellroad.org>.