Posted to mod_python-dev@quetz.apache.org by Nicolas Lehuen <ni...@lehuen.com> on 2006/04/12 14:53:59 UTC

Re: [mod_python] Anyone have an idea when mod_python will be available for Apache 2.2

Just as a note, I'm still struggling with Apache 2.2 to make the test suite
run with the latest svn version (everything seems OK with Apache 2.0.55).

I still have a problem while testing req.auth_type(). It looks like the
authentication system was changed in Apache 2.2, and that the current test
framework does not configure it correctly.

If I understood the new framework correctly, the authentication is handled
by three different layers, in which you can select whatever implementation
you want.

The first layer is the authentication method, for now you can choose the
Basic (mod_auth_basic.c) or the Digest (mod_auth_digest.c) method.

The second layer is the authentication database, which is used to
authenticate the credentials provided by the authentication method against a
database. There are different mod_authn_* modules for different database
storage, for instance mod_authn_file for flat file storage and mod_authn_dbm
for DBM file storage.

The last layer is the authorization database, which is used to check whether
the given authenticated user may access the request resource. There are
different mod_authz_* modules for different database storage, too.

The current problem is that the test suite does not configure correctly the
authentication framework. Either I get a 500 error because the
authentication database is not properly configured, hence causing the
"configuration error:  couldn't check access.  No groups file?" in the error
log, or if I set up properly the authn and authz modules (adding directives
to load mod_authn_default and mod_authz_default in test.py line 338)  then I
get a 401 error because the test users are not in the database.

The best thing I guess would be to disable authentication & authorisation
entirely because it seems that Apache 2.2 is hijacking the entire
authn/authz process, even when mod_python tries to do it itself.

I tried playing with the AuthBasicAuthoritative directive, even mimicking in
test_req_auth_type_conf() the same condition that was put in
test_req_requires_conf(). Unfortunately this doesn't lead me anywhere.

What I don't understand is why the problem is only showing on Win32 and
Jim's platform. Is it really OK on other platforms ?

Any thoughts on this problem ?

Regards,
Nicolas