Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com> on 2006/07/23 08:38:01 UTC

Party Relationship Best Practices

In the wiki http://docs.ofbiz.org/x/ZAE , I have
listed all of the entities that do not comply with the
ObjectRole entity approach of showing a relationship
between a party and an object.

Some of these implementations may be just fine.  Some
of the implementations may have been done before
utilization of the ObjectRole type of entity.  Some of
these entities may not make sense to use the
ObjectRole approach.

Whatever the case, I would appreciate any feedback on
each of these entities that knowledgable people can
offer.

Once it is determined that the ObjectRole entity would
be a better approach for an entity, we can make a JIRA
issue for it and tackle the upgrade.

Thanks all!

Re: Party Relationship Best Practices

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.
These look like accurate definitions from the books.

The thing to keep in mind with these definitions, and with the data model resource books in general, is that they describe a conceptual data model, not a "physical" data model (ie the one which is actually in the database). Silverston makes this clear in the introduction.

So, that's a good thing to keep in mind for these word definitions as well. Based on that remember than "entity" in the Silverston sense is _not_ quite the same as an entity in OFBiz. They are similar on one level, but only as much as the conceptual data model correlates with the physical data model.

-David

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
The overall party entity Model on page 66 figure 2.14
shows as an example
the party (supertype) has releationship subtype PartyFacility to Enity
Facility.
and Party (supertype) has a relationship subtype PartyContactMechanism
to contactMechanism
Paryt (Supertype) has a relationship subtype PartyRole, that realates to
  PartyRelationship to CommunicationsEvents and PartyRoleType to
PartyContactMechanism.

I am looking a diagram and it still does not make since to me, yet, so
my just giving the description must be even more confusing.

BJ Freeman sent the following on 7/23/2006 1:58 PM:

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.
I agree, that is why I made the list.  Many of the
instances require the one to many relationship, many
do not (PaymentMethod.partyId comes to mind,
Product.manufacturerId has been mentioned recently).
Seeing as there are 120 or so entities in that list, I
wasn't about to confirm them all myself when there
exists a community much more knowledgable about the
exact implementation.  I would appreciate as much help
in the effort as anyone can give.  The fruits of it
are of course simpler, more useful code, that's easier
to learn and finds a larger audience.

--- David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>

http://aycu26.webshots.com/image/3545/1360379278212478564_rs.jpg

> > Because we can't possibly forsee how someone would
> > want to associate a party with something
> significant
> > (SampleEntity in the picture) this model has been
> used
> > extensively throughout OFBiz using the _Role as
> the
> > associative entity and Party as SampleEntity1.
> >
> > The list in the wiki contains entities that on
> first
> > glance do not follow this implementation model
> when
> > associating a party with something significant.
> >
> > There may be implementations in that list that are
> > perfectly fine, perhaps even superior in their use
> > over this model.  However, this model appears to
> be
> > the best practice.  When something is implemented
> > outside of the best practice, the reasons the
> approach
> > was chosen should be documented and reevaluated as
> > technologies improve.
> >

> > --- BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net> wrote:
> >
> >> Chris Thanks.
> >> BTW I just got the two modeling books. So I am
> now
> >> trying to use the
> >> correct terminology.
> >> Beyond entity there is supertypes entities,
> subtypes
> >> (exclusive and non
> >> exclusive)entities, Attributes, Relationships,
> >> intersection, and
> >> Association.
> >>
> >>  From the book Vol 1 pages 8-12
> >> An entity, is something Significant about which
> the
> >> Enterprise wishes to
> >> store information.
> >> A subtype is a classification of an entity that
> has
> >> characteristics,
> >> such as attributes or relationships in common
> with
> >> more general entities.
> >> An Attribute holds a particular piece of
> information
> >> about the entity.
> >> A relationship defines how two entities are
> >> associated.
> >>
> >> rest is not from the book parse.
> >> the relationships have foreingKeys and is defined
> as
> >> the presence of
> >> another entities primary ID in a Entity. BTW
> >> silverstone does equate
> >> tables to entities.
> >>
> >> So with that as a frame work, what is it you are
> >> showing?
> >>

> >> Chris Howe sent the following on 7/23/2006 1:24
> [...]
=== message truncated ===

Re: Party Relationship Best Practices

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
Chris Thanks.
BTW I just got the two modeling books. So I am now trying to use the
correct terminology.
Beyond entity there is supertypes entities, subtypes (exclusive and non
exclusive)entities, Attributes, Relationships, intersection, and
Association.

 From the book Vol 1 pages 8-12

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.