Posted to user@poi.apache.org by rocks <de...@yahoo.com> on 2009/05/27 08:16:43 UTC

POI-User: HSSFWorkBook generation over RMI

Hi,

I have following requirements and setup.

1. There are two different web applications which are deployed on two web
servers (say X,Y) respectively.
2. There is tempalated on one of the web server (say X). This web server is
also responsible (business logic is placed here) for generating excel sheet.
3. When any user generates sheet using web server X, it perfectly works.
4. I want to provide facility to generate sheet using web server Y, but i
don't want code base (sheet generation) and template on web server Y. For
this I want to make RMI call to server X and get response as HSSFWorkBook
and displayed to user (which is using web server Y).

The issue I am facing::

1. HSSFWorkBook is not serialized and When I extend HSSFWorkBook class, it
throws exception.
2. I can't use InputStream/ByteArrayInputStream as it's also not serialized.
3. I can use byte[] using HSSFWorkBook, but I am not able to reconstruct
sheet as expected.

PS. There is obvious reasons not making serializable, still I am expecting
some clues for this issue.

Thanks,
Dev