Posted to dev@cayenne.apache.org by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org> on 2015/02/25 08:01:05 UTC

[DISCUSSION] 4.0.M2

(renamed the thread to separate from VOTE)

> On Feb 25, 2015, at 2:45 AM, Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org> wrote:

> I am all in favour of releasing much more often,

I'd be totally in favor of more frequent releases. Perhaps we need an informal poll to gauge our PMC ability to sustain the voting pace.

> but I think we should be clear about what this release is there to achieve.

[..]

>  But a lot of that work is not being discussed on this list, so I'm a little confused about exactly where we got to with the new API and other features for 4.0.

I don't think any major features were done without a list discussion (or an attempt at discussion). But yeah, a single overview should be useful to everyone. I tried to do just that in the upgrade guide [1]. And here is this list again with dev@ links:

* fluent APIs (SQLSelect, SelectById, ObjectSelect) [2, and probably more]
* cayenne-crypto [3]
* cdbimport [4]
* OSGI [5]
* ServerRuntimeBuilder [6]

> 1. Are we looking for a milestone release which will contain a fully finished API?

Fully usable I'd say, but I don't preclude (and in fact expect) further changes in the API. Also there are big gaps in fluent API as a whole (SQLUpdate that we started to discuss, procedure queries, etc.). Also adding aggregate capabilities (GROUP BY) to ObjectSelect. So there's much more work to do. The existing stuff is very clean and useful already though.

> 2. What are we asking users to review and give us feedback on?

The list above.

> 3. What is our policy on removing bits of the API between 4.0M2 and 4.0M3 if we decide we don't like something?

If it wasn't in 3.1, we can just remove it with a notice in UPGRADE-NOTES.txt.

> 4. What is the state of the documentation to show users how to use the new API? I took a look and couldn't find anything other than the javadocs.

The docs are behind. Partially this is intentional, as things keep evolving. Short overview of all the new stuff is present in the upgrade guide PDF though [1].

Andrus

[1] https://github.com/apache/cayenne/blob/4.0.M2/docs/docbook/upgrade-guide/src/docbkx/new-features.xml
[2] http://markmail.org/message/3vcxctfviunaqn4m
[3] http://markmail.org/message/fzxroljpb56yhcmz