Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> on 2007/07/01 15:49:07 UTC

wiki scratch-pad

I don't like the whole scratch-pad idea. It seems like documents will
wind up living there forever since there are no criteria to move
things in or out. Plus any time something does move in or out, the URL
gets changed. I hate changing URLs.

I suggest just creating the page in its correct location. You can use
the ScractPad page for linking pages that you are working on and don't
want to make very public yet. But even then, I'd prefer if you just
put a warning at the top mentioning the current status.

(In the medium term, I'm not even sure we should be creating wiki
pages in a hierarchy in any case. It is fine to have a hierarchy of
index pages, but the documents themselves should perhaps all be at the
root level.)

Joshua.

Re: wiki scratch-pad

Posted by Tony Stevenson <to...@pc-tony.com>.
Vincent Bray wrote:
> On 01/07/07, Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> wrote:
>> I don't like the whole scratch-pad idea. It seems like documents will
>> wind up living there forever since there are no criteria to move
>> things in or out. Plus any time something does move in or out, the URL
>> gets changed. I hate changing URLs.
>
> Agreed, it's a hangover from when the wiki started life on one of
> pctony's servers. Changing URLs is bad practice as you say (which is
> presumably why we still have
> http://httpd.apache.org/info/apache_on_linux.html :-) but, should we
> have a sweeping cleanup rather than letting the current page structure
> lie?

I think we should flatten it all now, and keep with that going forward.
I am happy to do the flattening out as it seems to be my hangover :-)

I can then uniformly name the pages with the correct casing. I think I
prefer CamelCase in this scenario.

We can then set about updating fajita's brain accordingly.

Unless I hear otherwise I will start this later this evening (BST that is)

> Also, it's long been intended to move some of the wiki content to the
> main docs. Do you see any viable candidates for transformation yet?

iirc wasn't somebody writing and xslt for this?

Re: wiki scratch-pad

Posted by Vincent Bray <no...@gmail.com>.
On 01/07/07, Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> wrote:
> I don't like the whole scratch-pad idea. It seems like documents will
> wind up living there forever since there are no criteria to move
> things in or out. Plus any time something does move in or out, the URL
> gets changed. I hate changing URLs.

Agreed, it's a hangover from when the wiki started life on one of
pctony's servers. Changing URLs is bad practice as you say (which is
presumably why we still have
http://httpd.apache.org/info/apache_on_linux.html :-) but, should we
have a sweeping cleanup rather than letting the current page structure
lie?

> I suggest just creating the page in its correct location. You can use
> the ScractPad page for linking pages that you are working on and don't
> want to make very public yet. But even then, I'd prefer if you just
> put a warning at the top mentioning the current status.
>
> (In the medium term, I'm not even sure we should be creating wiki
> pages in a hierarchy in any case. It is fine to have a hierarchy of
> index pages, but the documents themselves should perhaps all be at the
> root level.)

Again, agreed. I'd like to see a more consistent use of CamelCase or
Worm_Case or UNGodly_mix for page names too.

--
noodl