Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by "F C. Costero" <fj...@gmail.com> on 2016/01/22 19:03:48 UTC

Recovering from broken password (bug 125431)

We get questions on the forum about how to access a document that no longer
accepts the encryption password. I assume some of these are due to the
broken NSS issue #125431. I skimmed through the comments on bugzilla and
did not see a definitive way to fix the problem. I"m sorry if I missed it.
What should we tell users to do if we conclude they have this problem?
Thank you!
Francis

RE: Recovering from broken password (bug 125431)

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
Here's my understanding of *some*cases* of this problem based on what we now know about the cases that are reported and a patch that is being tested:

The user profile has nothing to do with this problem, and reinstalling AOO 4.1.2 will not help either.

The problem is with a dependency on the platform.  Going back to an older version of AOO should not work either, because the change is not in AOO but in the updated OS configuration.  It takes an update to AOO to adjust for the changed dependency.  (It is not clear whether there is a manual workaround that can be used in the meantime.)

The only immediate solution, pending an updated AOO release, is to take the file to an older OS or one that does not have the problem (e.g, on Windows) long enough to decrypt the file.  Alternatively, the user could install the latest release of LibreOffice to see if that overcomes this problem.

This does not apply to problems of lost or incorrect passwords.  When the password is lost, there is generally no way to decrypt the file on any configuration of OpenOffice.  There are some utilities that can discover the password if it is not very secure against being guessed.  The better the password's random structure and length, the less likely there is a way to decrypt the file.

There is some technical discussion here on the dev@ list, involving the dependency on NSS.

 - Dennis

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.