Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com> on 2010/10/02 10:00:14 UTC

Hadoop Taste

(Copying and pasting a message that got lost, on behalf of Chris --)

It's really a matter of running RecommenderJob locally. It is a Java program
that kicks off the Hadoop jobs. You need to have a Hadoop cluster running
locally and configured as described at hadoop.apache.org, but beyond that
should just work. (It's covered in some detail in the book Mahout in
Action.)

------------

Hello,

Are there any examples of deploying a taste application with Hadoop.  I am
pretty new to Mahout and hadoop/MapReduce in general.  I have many of the
simple examples running, but have seen no examples for running with hadoop.
 If you can point me in the right direction, that would help a lot.  If not,
I will try to come up with more specific questions.

Thanks
Chris S.

Re: Hadoop Taste

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.
To answers your other questions -- I think you have a mixture of old and new
compiled code somewhere. NoSuchMethodError can only happen when something
that worked at compile time no longer works at runtime. I'd do a full clean
build and ensure the .jar files you think are you using are the ones you
are.

The Netflix and Bookcrossing examples are for the non-distributed
implementation. *That* code has nothing to do with Hadoop, so in that sense
no you can't run on Hadoop. However you can surely apply the distributed
code to these data sets if you like (modulo adjusting the input format).