Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "Thompson, Bryan B." <BR...@saic.com> on 2004/11/12 11:31:19 UTC

JUnit Report Plugin : Grouping reports by TestSuite?

Hello,

I am working on an API, a test suite, and parallel implementations of
that API using different technologies.  In order to facilitate testing,
and to keep the test suite from being bundled with the API, I have broken
this down into four Maven projects:

 - API
 - test suite
 - oodbms impl.
 - rdbms impl.

The test suite has an abstract class that implements a defaultSuite(...)
method, which returns the _complete_ test suite for the API.  This is
important since I am really doing integration testing, if you will, of
the API implementation and I have and forsee the need to have multiple
runs of the API test suite for different test configurations of each
implementation.  For example, different RDBMS backends or different
tests of the same backend using different RDBMS versions or JDBC driver
versions.

So, while the original test suite clases are arranged in the same package
heirarchy as the API classes, the TestSuite returned by the defaultSuite()
method is reported as a single block of tests by the JUnit Report Plugin
per test configuration (which corresponds to, e.g., testing MySQL x.x.xx
with Connection/J y.yy).  Within each implementation, there is a single
test class for each test configuration.  The test configuration is then
described by a properties file.  This was done as a minor extension to
JUnit in which a TestCase2 (can find its properties file) and a
ProxyTestSuite (knows about a single Test instance that is a delegate
for all the tests) were derived.  If you are interested further, see:

    http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/cweb/junit-ext/

I would like to know if there is any way to have the JUnit Report Plugin
break down tests tests within the test suite according to either the name
of the class in which the Test was defined or the name parameter to the
TestSuite constructor.  Without this feature, the API test suite is
quickly loosing structure within the otherwise lovely report generated
by the JUnit Report Plugin.

Thanks in advance,

-bryan

RE: JUnit Report Plugin : Grouping reports by TestSuite?

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@pivolis.com>.
Just for reference, I had also done this for Cactus some time back and I
guess it could easily be integrated in the test plugin:

http://www.mail-archive.com/cactus-dev@jakarta.apache.org/msg04155.html

-Vincent

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@upstate.com>.