Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com> on 2001/10/13 22:04:37 UTC

version number

Marky made a good point about versioning.
I don't like the a1 a2 naming, I think that people find it confusing.
Why don't we just call the next release 1.4?

Re: version number

Posted by ra...@networks.groupvu.com.
David Sean Taylor wrote:
> We are now gathering all the known bugs and missing features for this
> release.
> If we can fix all of these bugs and implement the essential features, the
> quality, in my opinion, will be good enough to drop the alpha.

Quite apart from bug issues/stability, the "alpha" denominator is used because
the main APIs are still very in flux: if you consider the API differences between
1.3a1 and 1.3a2 and what is considered for 1.3a3 (new Portlet API), you'll see that
there are still some changes planned.

I'd like to go "beta" only when we are confident that our APIs are stable enough
so that we can ensure backward compatibility for modules and API extensions.
I don't think we've quite reached this point yet, which is why I'm +1 to keep
alpha for the time being.
--
Raphaƫl Luta - raphael.luta@networks.groupvu.com
Vivendi Universal Networks - Services Manager / Paris

Re: version number

Posted by Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>.
Paul Spencer wrote:

>I agree with Jon, we should call the next release 1.3-b1.   Along those
>line, we should limit enhancement between the beta and the release of
>1.3 to those that will NOT break user developed portlets.  If this means
>releasing 1.3 sooner and postponing the implementation of the new
>Portlet API to 1.4, I would support that decision.

I am +1 on this one also.

We have a product that depends on jetspeed, and I would like to have a
stable point to have simpler release cycle, so I'm not continuously
moving code between undocumented, unreleased versions of turbine and
jetspeed.

I think PortletAPI work missing is enough to give a thought to freezing
API in 1.3, release, and then have a extended 1.4 release cycle with the
new API.

Re: version number

Posted by Paul Spencer <pa...@mikon.com>.

Re: version number

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.

RE: version number

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
If its not an alpha release, yes, people will have higher expectations.
I believe that Jetspeed needs to move out of the 'alpha quality' state,
which it has been in for a long time now.

In order to make this happen, we all need to put in some work. Unfortunately
the current team, what is left of us, does not do portal development as part
of our daytime jobs (except Paul...).

Re: version number

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.