Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Jun Rao <ju...@confluent.io> on 2017/10/16 21:19:31 UTC

Re: [kafka-clients] Re: [VOTE] 1.0.0 RC1

Hi, Guozhang,

Onur found an existing performance bug in the controller when there are
lots of partitions. The fix is simple (
https://github.com/apache/kafka/pull/4075) and reduces the controlled
shutdown time from 6.5 mins to 30 secs, with
25K partitions, RF=2 and 5 brokers.

It would be useful to include this fix in 1.0.0.

Thanks,

Jun

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Jun,

I will roll out a new RC for this PR then.

Guozhang

-- Guozhang

Re: [kafka-clients] Re: [VOTE] 1.0.0 RC1

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Jun,

I will roll out a new RC for this PR then.

Guozhang

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 2:19 PM, Jun Rao <ju...@confluent.io> wrote:

> Hi, Guozhang,
>
> Onur found an existing performance bug in the controller when there are
> lots of partitions. The fix is simple (https://github.com/apache/
> kafka/pull/4075) and reduces the controlled shutdown time from 6.5 mins
> to 30 secs, with
> 25K partitions, RF=2 and 5 brokers.
>
> It would be useful to include this fix in 1.0.0.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jun
>

> On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 9:55 AM, Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Tom,
>>
>> Thanks for pointing it out. I meant to say Oct. 17th, Tuesday, for a 72
>> hours period.
>>
>> That being said, we need to have a lazy majority to accept a release RC
>> according to our bylaws (https://cwiki.apache.org/conf
>> luence/display/KAFKA/Bylaws). And if we cannot achieve that via thorough
>> testing within the period we will automatically extend the voting process.
>>

>> Guozhang
>>

>> On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 5:09 AM, Thomas Crayford <
>> tcrayford@salesforce.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Guozhang,
>>>
>>> This says the due date on the testing is October 13th, which was the day
>>> this email was sent. Is that accurate, or is it meant to read October
>>> 17th,
>>> which is next Tuesday?
>>>
>>> I feel like this short a testing window for a 1.0 RC is a little low, as
>>> 1.0 is clearly a big announcement of stability, and folk should be given
>>> enough time to do thorough testing.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Tom

>>> different

>>> produce/consume

>>> KIPs.
>>> ageId=71764913

>>> implementations
>>> KIP-187,
>>> 161),

>>> not go

>>> kafka-1.0-jdk7/31/

>> --
>> -- Guozhang
>>
>> --
>> gid/kafka-clients/CAHwHRrUhYTtGH9TmTzub9%2BypaxVBMxfvcxnEuX7
>> 4Z4X5Km%3D-jA%40mail.gmail.com
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/kafka-clients/CAHwHRrUhYTtGH9TmTzub9%2BypaxVBMxfvcxnEuX74Z4X5Km%3D-jA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>> .

-- Guozhang