Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Josh Davis <cl...@outlook.com> on 2016/02/27 02:00:49 UTC

Really really confused about Cloudstack networking

I have been tinkering about cloudstack but every single guide seems to be centered around the public IPs being NATed to the guest VMs. To be honest the more I think about it the more I get confused so I'm posting here in hopes that someone will guide me through this.
I have tried to pen down what I'm looking for and I hope it's clear enough:- I have a block of public routable IPs which I want to assign to individual VMs- These VMs run linux and are intended to function as web servers- I have no need for inter-VM private interactions except for via the public network- These VMs all reside in a single cloudstack cloud for high availability and resource balancing- The HVs in the cloud are connected to a central SAN running iSCSI- The HVs run XenServer
I'm confused with:- Do I set the guest network as the public IP range?- Internal DNS = Public DNS?- Does the management server need to have access to the storage network?- Why don't I have the option to choose iSCSI when I try to add a primary storage?- Basically everything

Re: Really really confused about Cloudstack networking

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
Thanks.

Ron

Posted by Paul Angus <pa...@shapeblue.com>.
Ron,

I've created a Jira Bug for this:

and pasted your description straight in.

I can't pick it up this week, but if no one else does I'll pick it up the week after. We do a lot of training around this so we'll have various material which I can use.

[ShapeBlue]<http://www.shapeblue.com>
Paul Angus
VP Technology   ,       ShapeBlue

d:      +44 203 617 0528 | s: +44 203 603 0540<tel:+44%20203%20617%200528%20|%20s:%20+44%20203%20603%200540>     |      m:      +44 7711 418784<tel:+44%207711%20418784>

e:      paul.angus@shapeblue.com | t: @cloudyangus<ma...@cloudyangus>      |      w:      www.shapeblue.com<http://www.shapeblue.com>

a:      53 Chandos Place, Covent Garden London WC2N 4HS UK

[cid:imagebe6be1.png@ae0635ad.43a613a5]

Shape Blue Ltd is a company incorporated in England & Wales. ShapeBlue Services India LLP is a company incorporated in India and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. Shape Blue Brasil Consultoria Ltda is a company incorporated in Brasil and is operated under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue SA Pty Ltd is a company registered by The Republic of South Africa and is traded under license from Shape Blue Ltd. ShapeBlue is a registered trademark.
This email and any attachments to it may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Shape Blue Ltd or related companies. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must neither take any action based upon its contents, nor copy or show it to anyone. Please contact the sender if you believe you have received this email in error.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

--
Ron Wheeler
President
Artifact Software Inc
email: rwheeler@artifact-software.com
skype: ronaldmwheeler
phone: 866-970-2435, ext 102

DISCLAIMER
==========
This e-mail may contain privileged and confidential information which is the property of Accelerite, a Persistent Systems business. It is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, retain, copy, print, distribute or use this message. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and delete all copies of this message. Accelerite, a Persistent Systems business does not accept any liability for virus infected mails.

RE: System VMs keeps failing to start

Posted by Glenn Wagner <gl...@shapeblue.com>.
Hi Josh,

Once you have done that , could you paste your management server logs to pastbin,
We are looking at the time around the deployment of the system vm's, if there is a failure it will be an exception (ERROR message)

Regards
Glenn

Regards,

Glenn Wagner

glenn.wagner@shapeblue.com
www.shapeblue.com
2nd Floor, Oudehuis Centre, 122 Main Rd, Somerset West, Cape Town  7130South Africa
@shapeblue

Posted by Timothy Lothering <tl...@datacentrix.co.za>.
Hi Josh,

To send a smaller file, you could clear the log file and wait for 2 or 3 iterations of the SSVMs to spin up and fail:

1. Stop Cloudstack Management Service
2. Stop Cloudstack Usage Service
3. Copy off the /var/log/cloudstack/management/management-server.log file to another location
4. Truncate the /var/log/cloudstack/management/management-server.log file
5. Start the CloudStack Management Service

You can tail the /var/log/cloudstack/management/management-server.log file to keep an eye on it, also have your Hypervisor console open to monitor if the SSVM Templates are being copied over etc. Let the SSVMs cycle 5 or so times, stop the management service and paste us the /var/log/cloudstack/management/management-server.log logs.

There are a number of things which could cause this (as mentioned by previous posters) Networking, Secondary Storage etc. Lets see what the logs have to say.

Kind Regards,
Timothy Lothering

> [...]
>> and

>> some

Regards,

Abhinandan Prateek

abhinandan.prateek@shapeblue.com
www.shapeblue.com

DISCLAIMER
==========
This e-mail may contain privileged and confidential information which is the property of Accelerite, a Persistent Systems business. It is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, retain, copy, print, distribute or use this message. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and delete all copies of this message. Accelerite, a Persistent Systems business does not accept any liability for virus infected mails.
Solutions Architect
Managed Services

T: +27877415535
F: +27877415100
C: +27824904099
E: tlothering@datacentrix.co.za

DISCLAIMER NOTICE:

Everything in this e-mail and any attachments relating to the official business of Datacentrix Holdings Ltd. and its subsidiaries
('Datacentrix') is proprietary to Datacentrix. It is confidential, legally privileged and protected by law. Datacentrix does not
own and endorse any other content. Views and opinions are those of the sender unless clearly stated as being that of Datacentrix.
The person addressed in the e-mail is the sole authorised recipient. Please notify the sender immediately if it has unintentionally
reached you and do not read, disclose or use the content in any way. Datacentrix cannot assure that the integrity of this communication
has been maintained nor that it is free of errors, virus, interception or interference.

RE: System VMs keeps failing to start

Posted by Abhinandan Prateek <ab...@shapeblue.com>.

Posted by cl...@outlook.com.

Posted by Ahmad Emneina <ae...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ahmad Emneina <ae...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ahmad Emneina <ae...@gmail.com>.
Hey Josh,

> [...]

> >> requirements and ACS needs to be flexible enough to accommodate very
> > different underlying needs.
> > Not agree. Even with good knowledge documentation is confusing because:
> >
> > - it assumes  you are always in the use case of "I have plenty of
> routable ips"
> > - it forgets to say that two system vms are create to manage routing and
> > secondary storage
> > - it does not say that cloudstack manager can rewrite your host
> configuration
> >

> >> It's always best to start with a basic zone, unless you REALLY need some
> > functionality within an advanced
> >> zone. As soon as you move into advanced zone networking, you need to
> have
> > a good understanding of layer 2/3
> >> networking.
> >>
> > I was able to make my cloudstack network working only when I skipped

You mentioned that SVMs need to be started. I'm finding that my installation keeps looping the command "Creating system VMs (this may take a while)". Right now, it's done its 70th cycle (s-70-VM) and seems to want to keep going on until it crashes.

I'm thinking I should just kill the process but I'm worried I can't start the process again later. Is there a way to re-run this again later on?

Why is it failing to start the VMs? Why is everything null? My networks are starting fine. Apologies for the lack of formating. Sending this via phone.

Console proxy up in zone: Public Cloud, proxy: v-72-VM, public IP: null, private IP: N/A1004 Mar 2016 04:27:04

Console proxy creation failure. zone: Public Cloud, error details: null1004 Mar 2016 04:27:04

Secondary Storage Vm creation failure. zone: Public Cloud, error details: null1904 Mar 2016 04:27:00

Console proxy up in zone: Public Cloud, proxy: v-72-VM, public IP: null, private IP: N/A1004 Mar 2016 04:26:34

Console proxy creation failure. zone: Public Cloud, error details: null1004 Mar 2016 04:26:34

Thanks in advance!

Josh

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by Vadim <va...@ant.ee>.
I wouldn't recommend to skip basic zone set-up. It is much simpler to
start with it to get basic knowledge of CS net configuration process. I
also had many troubles during set-up, but remembering those days I would
say - I didn't have enough knowledge of hypervisor network layer at that
time. Process is a bit different for different hypervisors (I have tried
KVM and XenServer). I would also recommend to put management server with
database on VM and make snapshots before configuration. Then you only
need to revert configuration if something went wrong. After couple (of
tens) times I got XLS with all the steps and desired configuration
parameters for production.

Vadim.

Posted by Mario Giammarco <mg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
I would be willing to work with someone who really knows the networking
to fix the docs.

I have made specific suggestions about what I think needs to be changed
but it does require input from someone who actually understands
Cloudstack networking to properly fix the docs.

It would also be helpful to have the sources  to the drawings. I could
not find them in the git project but perhaps I did not look in all
possible places.

Ron

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.