Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com> on 2023/04/16 04:00:03 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] tweak some defaults (round two)

some updates:

On 20.03.23 11:46, Neil C Smith wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Mar 2023 at 04:06, Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>    - disable compile on save (maven)
> Let's deal with that first, as I'm mainly moving the discussion here
> as I was told to on https://github.com/apache/netbeans/issues/5260 :-)
>
> +1 for having that off by default.  I think we have enough information
> in the UI to prompt enabling, and a good warning message when
> enabling.  Using CoS has upsides and downsides that need to be
> understood by the user, and does occasionally introduce surprising
> bugs.  I never use it any more (too many past problems) and think it
> goes against the idea of NetBeans being a WYSIWYG interface to the
> build system.
>
> My comment about new projects / disabling by default, is that in my
> opinion the logic in nb-configuration.xml should be reversed, so that
> the lack of that file (eg. in a new project or git checkout) means
> disabled.  That's potentially a bigger change than you're considering?

that is what I meant :) Sorry for causing confusion by mentioning "new
projects". It is simply off by default unless explicitly enabled.

already merged:

https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/5826

>>    - enable 'view -> show versioning labels'
> +1

open:

https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/5831

I might not have time for more so I will probably move the rest to NB 19.

best regards,

-mbien