Posted to dev@hive.apache.org by Rich Bowen <rb...@apache.org> on 2023/03/29 12:42:18 UTC

A Message from the Board to PMC members

Dear Apache Project Management Committee (PMC) members,

The Board wants to take just a moment of your time to communicate a few
things that seem to have been forgotten by a number of PMC members,
across the Foundation, over the past few years.  Please note that this
is being sent to all projects - yours has not been singled out.

The Project Management Committee (PMC) as a whole[1] is tasked with the
oversight, health, and sustainability of the project. The PMC members
are responsible collectively, and individually, for ensuring that the
project operates in a way that is in line with ASF philosophy, and in a
way that serves the developers and users of the project.

The PMC Chair is not the project leader, in any sense. It is the person
who files board reports and makes sure they are delivered on time. It
is the secretary for the project, and the project’s  ambassador to the
Board of Directors. The VP title is given as an artifact of US
corporate law, and not because the PMC Chair has any special powers. If
you are treating your PMC Chair as the project lead, or granting them
any other special powers or privileges, you need to be aware that
that’s not the intent of the Chair role. The Chair is a PMC member peer
with a few extra duties.

Every PMC member has an equal voice in deliberations. Each has one
vote. Each has veto power. Every vote weighs the same. It is not only
your right, but it is your obligation, to use that vote for the good of
the project and its users, not to appease the Chair, your employer, or
any other voice in the project.

Every PMC member can, and should, nominate new committers, and new PMC
members. This is not the sole domain of the PMC Chair. This might be
your most important responsibility to the project, as succession
planning is the path to sustainability.

Every PMC member can, and should, respond when the Board sends email to
your private list. You should not wait for the PMC Chair to respond.
The Board views the entire PMC as responsible for the project, not just
one member.

you are not, then you are neglecting your duty of oversight. If you no
longer wish to be responsible for oversight of the project, you should
resign your PMC seat, not merely drop off of the private@ list and
ignore it. You can determine which PMC members are not subscribed to
your private list by looking at your PMC roster at
https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/committee/  Names with an asterisk (*)
next to them are not subscribed to the list. We encourage you to take a
moment to contact them with this information.

Thank you for your attention to these matters, and thank you for
keeping our projects healthy.

Rich, for The Board of Directors

[1] https://apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#pmc-members

Re: A Message from the Board to PMC members

Posted by arslan kabeer <ar...@gmail.com>.
Hi there,
Okay thank you, Will be waiting for your response, always happy to help,
hoping to receive a bounty for finding this vulnerability and reporting it
ethically to you.
Best Regards
Arslan

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 05.04.23 um 07:48 schrieb Peter kovacs:
> What do you suggest?
> I do not see in the mail calls for action in this regard. And the status quo is that we will not Push anyone out or define some sort of activity requirement.

I also think that this is a step that should be discussed separately.
And then within the PMC.

Marcus

Ciao

Marcus

Re: A Message from the Board to PMC members

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Dave,

Am 07.04.23 um 16:33 schrieb Dave Fisher:

> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Apr 7, 2023, at 7:24 AM, Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>>> Am 05.04.23 um 07:48 schrieb Peter kovacs:
>>> Hi Matthias,
>>>
>>> What do you suggest?
>>> I do not see in the mail calls for action in this regard. And the status quo is that we will not Push anyone out or define some sort of activity requirement.
>> I clearly see a message to all of our PMC members, that are inactive for
>> years (without notifying the PMC), not subscribed to private@ or working
>> for a company that probably forbids them to contribute to our project to
>> take action!
>>
>> The reason for our "Status Quo" is just that nobody wanted to invest the
>> time.
>>
>> But let's take that discussion to private@.
> 1. I view this part as a message to PMCs where there are not enough active PMC members. We have enough active members.
>
> 2. My personal opinion is that inactive PMC members are not a problem.
My personal opinion is that we have "inactive" PMC members that ARE a
problem. ;-)

> 3. PMC members energy would be better spent finding new committers and promoting committers to the PMC.
That *would* definitely be better, yes.

> It’s time to work on the board report. I’ll include a summary activity review of the PMC members.

Great idea!

I already changed little parts of the Board Report, but other members
should also have a look.

Regards,

   Matthias

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@comcast.net>.

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi Peter,

Posted by Peter kovacs <pe...@posteo.de>.
Hi Matthias,

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
Hi All,

Posted by Gary Dixon <Ga...@quadris.co.uk.INVALID>.
Hi Yes

Today is fine

Regards

Gary

Gary Dixon
Senior Technical Consultant
0161 537 4980 +44 7989717661
Gary.Dixon@quadris.co.uk
www.quadris.co.uk
Innovation House, 12-13 Bredbury Business Park
Bredbury Park Way, Bredbury, Stockport, SK6 2SN

Gary Dixon
Senior Technical Consultant
T:  +44 161 537 4990
E:  vms@quadris-support.com
W: www.quadris.co.uk
The information contained in this e-mail from Quadris may be confidential and privileged for the private use of the named recipient.  The contents of this e-mail may not necessarily represent the official views of Quadris.  If you have received this information in error you must not copy, distribute or take any action or reliance on its contents.  Please destroy any hard copies and delete this message.

https://eur01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwhimsy.apache.org%2Froster%2Fcommittee%2F&data=05%7C01%7CGary.Dixon%40quadris.co.uk%7C3c847d14c98b47c0793b08db30548601%7Cf1d6abf3d3b44894ae16db0fb93a96a2%7C0%7C0%7C638156911811274180%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=ksosDNkRE2VSS25hdmYvHBCOK2jDu3h3PFruPL0BtEE%3D&reserved=0  Names with an asterisk (*)

[1] https://eur01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fapache.org%2Ffoundation%2Fhow-it-works.html%23pmc-members&data=05%7C01%7CGary.Dixon%40quadris.co.uk%7C3c847d14c98b47c0793b08db30548601%7Cf1d6abf3d3b44894ae16db0fb93a96a2%7C0%7C0%7C638156911811274180%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=LVUrT8k3RD6MCdW87ZWqGLbfweWUoBsSYM9MwXvJU7I%3D&reserved=0

Re: A Message from the Board to PMC members

Posted by Ed Espino <es...@apache.org>.
Just as the resetting of the Apache MADlib PMC roster has completed, we
receive an important PMC member reminder and direction from Rich Bowman.
The timing could not have been any better.

For those of you new to the PMC, here is a great resource to be familiar
with.

   - Project Management Committee Guide
   <https://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html>This guide outlines the general
   responsibilities of Project Management Committee
   <https://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#pmc> (PMC) members
   in managing their projects and common how-to procedures for day to day
   maintenance. For a high-level overview of the what and why of PMCs, read
   the PMC Governance overview
   <https://www.apache.org/foundation/governance/pmcs>.

Posted by Andrew Lamb <al...@influxdata.com>.
Mr. Blodgett,

This message and other messages such as [2] are off topic and do not
contribute positively to the Arrow community. Given your history of similar
postings in the past, we have removed you from our mailing lists.

Andrew

[1] https://www.apache.org/foundation/policies/conduct.html
[2] https://lists.apache.org/thread/dbflzsylc71kntrptggp88y5xfnhwsxx

Posted by Benjamin Blodgett <be...@gmail.com>.