Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> on 2020/12/05 12:51:03 UTC

Time to say goodbye to Clirr; Re: Upgrade 5.1 branches to Java 1.8

> Hi Michael
>
> That would mean somewhat more work for me but what you are saying
> makes
> sense. I will back out protocol upgrade APIs from master and will
> move
> them along with Java 8 changes to 5.2.x branch.
>
> Oleg

One more thing. I just discovered that Clirr cannot handle certain Java
8 features correctly, most importantly default methods in interfaces. I
am looking into ways of either fixing Clirr or more likely finding a
better alternative.

Oleg

Re: Time to say goodbye to Clirr; Re: Upgrade 5.1 branches to Java 1.8

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.
Am 2020-12-05 um 13:51 schrieb Oleg Kalnichevski:

>> Hi Michael
>>
>> That would mean somewhat more work for me but what you are saying
>> makes
>> sense. I will back out protocol upgrade APIs from master and will
>> move
>> them along with Java 8 changes to 5.2.x branch.
>>
>> Oleg
>>

> One more thing. I just discovered that Clirr cannot handle certain Java
> 8 features correctly, most importantly default methods in interfaces. I
> am looking into ways of either fixing Clirr or more likely finding a
> better alternative.

Makes sense. Let me know whether this should go into a parent POM.

Re: Time to say goodbye to Clirr; Re: Upgrade 5.1 branches to Java 1.8

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 2020-12-05 at 08:56 -0500, Gary Gregory wrote:
> I've been working with JApiCmp for a while now, and it seems fine, it
> works, it's maintained and highly configurable.
>
> I only know that revapi is in Log4j because I see it fly by during
> local
> builds but I've not had to actually deal with it.
>
> So I can't contrast and compare. If I had to pick myself I'd just go
> with
> what I know now and move on from there.

OK. JApiCmp fills the bill splendidly. It supports exclusions based on
custom annotations, generates standalone reports in plain text, html
and xml, works with Java 1.8 and is well maintained.

We should have migrated off Clirr a long time ago.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 2020-12-05 at 15:37 +0100, Julian Sedding wrote:
> I'm not familiar with Clirr, but I think the
> "bnd-baseline-maven-plugin" does something similar. It's geared
> towards OSGi bundles, but may work with regular jars as well. It
> compares two OSGi bundles (or jar files) and reports API changes
> classified according to semantic versioning rules. I'm using bnd's
> baselining functionality (via this or other plugins) on a regular
> basis and it is mostly trouble free both to run and to setup.
>
> I know that the HttpComponents project isn't very interested in OSGi.
> But it may be worthwhile trying if this fits the bill. Maybe adding
> minimal OSGi metadata by default with versioned package exports could
> be beneficial in order to formally describe API compatibility.
>
> Regards
> Julian

Julian

It is not that we collectively as a project have anything against OSGi
support. We collectively lack expertise in OSGi and no one else was
willing to step in.

Posted by Julian Sedding <js...@gmail.com>.

[0] https://github.com/bndtools/bnd/tree/master/maven/bnd-baseline-maven-plugin

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.