Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2012/01/06 23:09:44 UTC

[VOTE] Release Commons Parent 23 based on RC3 (lazy consensus)

This is a VOTE to release commons-parent 23 based on RC3.

As agreed previously, commons parent release votes operate on lazy
consensus, i.e. the vote is assumed to have passed if 72 hours have
elapsed without an objection.

Release notes (including changes):

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/commons-parent/tags/commons-parent-23-RC3/RELEASE-NOTES.txt

Note: I did not update the Maven-3 section to configure the deploy
plugin, because I'm not able to test the change.

Tag:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/commons-parent/tags/commons-parent-23-RC3

Site: None.

Maven artifacts:

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-027/org/apache/commons/commons-parent/23/

[ ] -1 no, do not release it because ...

[CANCELLED][VOTE] Release Commons Parent 23 based on RC3 (lazy consensus)

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 6 January 2012 22:09, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is a VOTE to release commons-parent 23 based on RC3.
>
> As agreed previously, commons parent release votes operate on lazy
> consensus, i.e. the vote is assumed to have passed if 72 hours have
> elapsed without an objection.
>
> Release notes (including changes):
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/commons-parent/tags/commons-parent-23-RC3/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
>
> Note: I did not update the Maven-3 section to configure the deploy
> plugin, because I'm not able to test the change.
>

> Tag:
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/commons-parent/tags/commons-parent-23-RC3
>
> Site: None.
>
> Maven artifacts:
>
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-027/org/apache/commons/commons-parent/23/
>
> [X] -1 no, do not release it because ...

This vote is cancelled, because the buildManager autodetect profile is broken.
As this was one of the main reasons for updating the pom, there seems
little point in continuing with the release.

Re: [VOTE] Release Commons Parent 23 based on RC3 (lazy consensus)

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 6 January 2012 23:19, Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 12:12 AM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 6 January 2012 23:06, Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org> wrote:
>>> -0

>>> that is the reason, with mvn3 we cannot deploy artifacts for
>>> components that don't support Nexus yet, and we are forced to switch
>>> to mvn2.
>>
>> Not strictly true, see below.
>>

> indeed there are turnarouds, as I expressed in my previous message,
> this is the reason why I expressed -0 and not -1.
>
>>> of course there are turnarounds and manual procedures but that's not
>>> the point, that is reason of -0 instead of -1
>>
>> I was not willing to release an untested change to the parent pom;
>> there are several other important fixes in CP 23 which need to be made
>> available, and I did not want to compromise these.
>>

> agreed
>
>> You can always add an optional profile to the POM of the non-Nexus
>> component; once thoroughly tested it can be migrated to a future CP
>> version.
>>

> sure there are a lot of alternatives - i.e. on digester I added the
> wagon-ssh in the pom as extension, and I was able to deploy via mvn -
> but I don't see advantage of having  a parent when I have to
> reconfigure plugins/components that could be centralized

Of course, but this needs to be thoroughly tested first, as errors in
the parent pom potentially affect all components.

I don't have the expertise to do this, so someone else is going to
have to fix the problem with M3 and wagon.

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 6 January 2012 23:06, Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org> wrote:
> -0
>
>> Note: I did not update the Maven-3 section to configure the deploy> plugin, because I'm not able to test the change.
>
> that is the reason, with mvn3 we cannot deploy artifacts for
> components that don't support Nexus yet, and we are forced to switch
> to mvn2.

Not strictly true, see below.

Posted by Simone Tripodi <si...@apache.org>.
-0