Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com> on 2005/05/19 09:04:51 UTC

Re: Disable Automatic Plugin Updates in Maven ?

A couple of ways presently:

- use -o on the command line (it can be in MAVEN_OPTS), but this
disables all downloads
- ad a pluginRepository to your project (or one you inherit from) with
id = central and <snapshotPolicy>never</snapshotPolicy>
- explicitly list all plugins you use in pom.xml with their versions.

We intend to improve this in the next release:
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-379

Note that plugin updates should only be checked, and published after
sufficient testing so there should be no harm in leaving it enabled at
the moment.

Regards,
Brett

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
Quoting previously:

"We intend to improve this in the next release:
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-379"

and one way to avoid it:

"- explicitly list all plugins you use in pom.xml with their versions."

Every version you list explicitly is used, regardless of what version
is current, for reasons of reproducibility. We are also making a
release plugin that will populate that field in the SCM with current
values to help this happen.

- Brett

Re: Disable Automatic Plugin Updates in Maven ? + Config management question in [m2]

Posted by Eric Giguere <er...@videotron.ca>.
That's excellent!
You're right, I didn't got the answer, there seems to be a small problem
with the list today. Got a failed delivery message.

Great, impressive work Brett!

Eric.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eric Giguere <er...@videotron.ca>.
Hey guys!

How convenient... I just wanted to ask a question for Maven 2.0
concerning this topic: configuration management.

It's not only a matter of corporate procedures. but rather a general
configuration mangement issue. When you release a software product, if
you want to have a reproducible build, you must save the complete
configuration and that includes you build system. With standard IDEs or
languages like C or C++, its pretty straight forward. You save the
compiler's version and options you used, same thing with all external
libraries. You may have to check in also the compiler itself or any
other tool you require to build your system, you tag all your sources
and you're almost done.

With Maven, its may be a little more complicated. Not only the engine
itself is evoluting but all plugins are constantly changing to. I myself
wrote a plugin and I know that if I checkout an old version of my
project (lets say one from last year), I will have to modify the build
script that was savec in CVS because there is something missing that is
now required by new version of the plugin. In other words, what was
building without problems a year agon with Maven 1.0 and some plugins
won't build today.

So here is the question: Was that thought of in Maven 2.0? Will it be
possible to "save" the configuration used to build and dig it out when
its needed? Without going in the very specific details, I think that if
we can tell maven to use a specific version of a plugin even if newer
versions are available and installed, it'll fix most config. management
issues.

A specialize maven plugin could do that save and load config, as long as
the core engine accepts "overrides" on which plugin version to use
instead of always picking up the latest.

thx!
Eric.

Posted by Jamie Bisotti <jb...@gmail.com>.