Posted to dev@oodt.apache.org by "Jayawardana, Yasith" <ya...@cs.odu.edu> on 2019/04/01 07:35:44 UTC

Re: Hello World!

Hi Imesha and Tom.

I have drafted my project proposal for GSoC 2019, which you can check out here<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1m5vDqkdjLA2N34a88dLEt-uZc9qQXzzCYEGARyHPCZA/edit?usp=sharing>. I would really appreciate if you can review it and provide your feedback on it! I'm hoping to work towards finalizing the implementation plan and the timeline with your support, and any suggestions are warmly welcome!

Best Regards,
Yasith Jayawardana

On 3/16/19 12:51 PM, Tom Barber wrote:
No problem, edit away! :)

On 16 March 2019 at 16:50:55, Jayawardana, Yasith (yasith@cs.odu.edu<ma...@cs.odu.edu>) wrote:

Oops i just checked and my username is yasith not yasithmilinda. The other is for jira, sorry about that! And yes I see the edit button now. Thanks!

Regards,
Yasith Jayawardana

On Mar 16, 2019, at 12:39 PM, Tom Barber <to...@spicule.co.uk>> wrote:

I’ve given Karma to that user, let me know if you can edit stuff now.

On 16 March 2019 at 16:38:36, Tom Barber (tom@spicule.co.uk<ma...@spicule.co.uk>) wrote:

yasithmilinda

Spicule Limited is registered in England & Wales. Company Number: 09954122. Registered office: First Floor, Telecom House, 125-135 Preston Road, Brighton, England, BN1 6AF. VAT No. 251478891.

All engagements are subject to Spicule Terms and Conditions of Business. This email and its contents are intended solely for the individual to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is confidential, privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure, distributing or copying. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Spicule Limited. The company accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by reply email before deleting it from your system. Service of legal notice cannot be effected on Spicule Limited by email.

--
Yasith Jayawardana
PhD Student, Department of Computer Science

Re: Hello World!

Posted by Imesha Sudasingha <im...@apache.org>.
> The dockerfiles are being created to make it possible to deploy any
component of OODT independently. For the end user, this means the build
system will be different from RADiX.
Yes. That's the idea

> When using dockerfile-maven, the purpose is to build a docker image for
the user-added code, not the core OODT components. These components will be
instantiated as Kubernetes pods.
We need the support to build images with user added code as well.
But, before that we need to add a docker-build step to each component's
pom.xml (under a separate maven profile which is deactivated by default)
which will build the default docker images. Other option is to create a
separate folder with the Dockerfile and ask the user to do a *docker
build* within
that folder. But, doing the same within maven build seems cleaner.
Furthermore, docker-maven plugin supports deploying images to a repository
which will come in handy when doing releases.

For users, if they want to create a custom image, we may need to provide
them with a template project where they can make the changes to
configuration files (mostly) and build the image.
*Note:* Since we can use distributed configuration management to download
configuration dynamically, I don't think the users will require to build
their own images. And no code level changes will not be required as well.

Thanks,
Imesha

Re: Hello World!

Posted by "Jayawardana, Yasith" <ya...@cs.odu.edu>.
Hi Imesha and Tom,

https://nam03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdocs.google.com%2Fdocument%2Fd%2F1m5vDqkdjLA2N34a88dLEt-uZc9qQXzzCYEGARyHPCZA%2Fedit%3Fusp%3Dsharing&amp;data=02%7C01%7Cyasith%40cs.odu.edu%7C683d1b53585d4718281408d6b9804f45%7C48bf86e811a24b8a8cb368d8be2227f3%7C0%7C0%7C636900358083088851&amp;sdata=wnmePw7o46sB8y2zZAG4Z%2BlOIzQnU%2BJEZr8h2FOpXZo%3D&amp;reserved=0><https://nam03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdocs.google.com%2Fdocument%2Fd%2F1m5vDqkdjLA2N34a88dLEt-uZc9qQXzzCYEGARyHPCZA%2Fedit%3Fusp%3Dsharing&amp;data=02%7C01%7Cyasith%40cs.odu.edu%7C683d1b53585d4718281408d6b9804f45%7C48bf86e811a24b8a8cb368d8be2227f3%7C0%7C0%7C636900358083088851&amp;sdata=wnmePw7o46sB8y2zZAG4Z%2BlOIzQnU%2BJEZr8h2FOpXZo%3D&amp;reserved=0>.

On Mar 16, 2019, at 12:39 PM, Tom Barber <to...@spicule.co.uk><mailto:

On 16 March 2019 at 16:38:36, Tom Barber (tom@spicule.co.uk<ma...@spicule.co.uk><mailto:

Re: Hello World!

Posted by Tom Barber <to...@spicule.co.uk>.
Hey Yasith,

I’ve stuck in a couple of comments, nothing major but just a couple of
ideas. Looks like a good pitch to me!

Tom

Re: Hello World!

Posted by Imesha Sudasingha <im...@apache.org>.