Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Nimmi Cv <ni...@gmail.com> on 2019/10/10 20:39:22 UTC

org.apache.spark.util.SparkUncaughtExceptionHandler

0

I get the following error on executors while running my spark job. I am
reading data from Database. The data has string in UTF8

Iterator t.next().getString(row.fieldIndex("short_name"));

ERROR org.apache.spark.util.SparkUncaughtExceptionHandler - Uncaught
exception in thread Thread[Executor task launch worker for task 359,5,main]
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space at
org.apache.spark.unsafe.types.UTF8String.fromAddress(UTF8String.java:135)
at
org.apache.spark.sql.catalyst.expressions.UnsafeRow.getUTF8String(UnsafeRow.java:419)
at
org.apache.spark.sql.execution.columnar.STRING$.getField(ColumnType.scala:452)
at
org.apache.spark.sql.execution.columnar.STRING$.getField(ColumnType.scala:424)
at
org.apache.spark.sql.execution.columnar.compression.RunLengthEncoding$Encoder.gatherCompressibilityStats(compressionSchemes.scala:194)
at
org.apache.spark.sql.execution.columnar.compression.CompressibleColumnBuilder$$anonfun$gatherCompressibilityStats$1.apply(CompressibleColumnBuilder.scala:74)
at
org.apache.spark.sql.execution.columnar.compression.CompressibleColumnBuilder$$anonfun$gatherCompressibilityStats$1.apply(CompressibleColumnBuilder.scala:74)
at scala.collection.immutable.List.foreach(List.scala:392) at
org.apache.spark.sql.execution.columnar.compression.CompressibleColumnBuilder$class.gatherCompressibilityStats(CompressibleColumnBuilder.scala:74)

I am processing 100 GB of data with 10 executors of 14G. I startted with
12G executors and I get the same error even with 14G and 3G Overhead memory.
Thanks,
Nimmi

Re: org.apache.spark.util.SparkUncaughtExceptionHandler

Posted by Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Nimmi,

Can you send us the spark parameters with overhead. assuming you are
running with yarn

Example

[4] - 864GB

--num-executors 32

--executor-memory 21G

--executor-cores 4
--conf spark.yarn.executor.memoryOverhead=3000

 The parameter spark.yarn.executor.memoryOverhead is explained as below:

 spark.yarn.executor.memoryOverhead = executorMemory * 0.10, with minimum
of 384

 The amount of off-heap memory (in megabytes) to be allocated per executor.
This is memory that accounts for things like VM overheads, interned
strings, other native overheads, etc. This tends to grow with the executor
size (typically
6-10%).

HTH

Dr Mich Talebzadeh