Posted to dev@wicket.apache.org by Joachim Rohde <ma...@joachimrohde.com> on 2015/05/06 22:50:51 UTC

[wicketstuff] Can't we get rid of the distinction between JDK-versions on the folder level?

Hi,
As I already mentioned the other day I was porting some changes from
master branch to the wicket-6.x branch
(http://apache-wicket.1842946.n4.nabble.com/wicketstuff-Need-help-with-cherry-picking-td4670615.html)
and had some trouble doing so, since Git was not able to cherry-pick my
changes due to a different folder structure. Since this was really a
pain in the neck (and quite erroneous) I would like to know if we cannot
get rid of the distinction between different JDK versions in the folder
structure.

At the moment all projects on the master branch are located in the
jdk-1.7-parent folder (since no project requires Java 8 yet, the
jdk-1.8-parent folder is empty). Most of those projects reside in the
jdk-1.6-parent folder on the wicket-6.x branch, making it impossible to
simply downport changes via cherry-picking. Only difference between the
POMs in those folders are the source- and target-level for the Maven
compiler plugin.

Can't we just put everything in one folder and override source- and
target-level in the project specific POM if a project needs a higher
version than the default one? The only drawback I see at the moment is
the fact, that you cannot recognize at a first glance if a project needs
a higher Java version. Or do I overlook here something?

To be honest: I don't know if I would downport bigger changes on a
project when myself only needs those changes on the master branch (since
I'm already using Wicket 1.7) and downporting is such a hassle.

Joachim

Re: [wicketstuff] Can't we get rid of the distinction between JDK-versions on the folder level?

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
I'll do it in the next few days!

Martin Grigorov
Wicket Training and Consulting
https://twitter.com/mtgrigorov

Posted by Joachim Rohde <ma...@joachimrohde.com>.

Posted by Joachim Rohde <ma...@joachimrohde.com>.

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
http://developer-blog.cloudbees.com/2014/12/beware-siren-target-call.html
A blog post explaining that animal-sniffer is not perfect ...

Martin Grigorov
Freelancer. Available for hire!

Posted by Joachim Rohde <ma...@joachimrohde.com>.

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi Joachim,

Posted by Joachim Rohde <ma...@joachimrohde.com>.
Hi Martin,

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
WOW I was able to build wicketstuff using default memory settings!
This is absolutely amazing :)

--
WBR
Maxim aka solomax

Re: [wicketstuff] Can't we get rid of the distinction between JDK-versions on the folder level?

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Joachim Rohde <ma...@joachimrohde.com>.

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Martin Grigorov <ma...@gmail.com>.
I will update the release steps next time I do a release

About the javadoc issue - it is a known problem with JDK 8. Many projects
disabled javadoc lint because of this.
See Wicket-Bootstrap for example
We have to do the same for Wicketstuff

Posted by Joachim Rohde <ma...@joachimrohde.com>.