Posted to docs-dev@perl.apache.org by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> on 2002/06/04 18:19:17 UTC

creating a good mod_perl ad-banner

[subject change]

Per Einar Ellefsen wrote:

>> also if I don't know what modperl is, I'd never understand from the
>> message on the banner (I know it's easy to criticize, as I didn't do one
>> :). So need some ideas here if you agree with me. Also some graphics will
>> make the banner more attractive, anybody knows some graphic designers?
>

> I appreciate constructive criticism, but don't plan to spend too much
> time on these banners either. However, I totally agree with that
> comment. I think we can have several banners though.
>
> Maybe one like this:
> - Tired of waiting ...?
> - Love Perl and Apache?
> - What you need is...
> - [modperl]
> - Use it *now*!

None of these tells you what it is! So it's not different from Speed,
Power, Whatever. Which may be intriguing, but unfortunately we aren't in
1997, where I was creating banners saying just "Click Me!".

We need to have a message, which makes it clear that this:

first a webserver
second running on Apache and Perl
third, else

Now you can clearly see the problem with the new logo: it gives no clue
what it is. I'd think that people didn't think too broad when they've
voted for it. So I suggest to cure that bug with putting the Apache
feather and Camel inside the banner. Having these two solves most of the
problem.

> About graphics: I thought maybe it would be cool to have a bullet going
> through the logo and the caption "Faster than a speeding bullet", but
> that's way out of my scale. I don't know any good graphic designers either.

Anyway, that's a good idea, probably need to log it in TODO while we
don't have any other better place.

Re: creating a good mod_perl ad-banner

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Per Einar Ellefsen wrote:

>>> Should we organize a contest? It would need pretty strict rules
>>> though, to get something that represents mod_perl in a good way and
>>> re-uses the current logo. I think it might be hard compared to having
>>> a designer do the job though.
>>

>> Well, you can try of course. My attempts weren't successful so far.
>> if you do, we need to discuss the requirements first. See my post
>> about a month ago to the modperl list which has already specified many
>> of them.
>

> Well, you asked for someone to take care of it, but everyone was too
> lazy. I could try and organize this... if it's really needed. I saw your
> post, that's what I based my banners on.

Yes, thanks a lot! :)

Re: creating a good mod_perl ad-banner

Posted by Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@skynet.be>.
At 19:54 06.06.2002, Stas Bekman wrote:
>>>Now you can clearly see the problem with the new logo: it gives no clue
>>>what it is. I'd think that people didn't think too broad when they've
>>>voted for it. So I suggest to cure that bug with putting the Apache
>>>feather and Camel inside the banner. Having these two solves most of the
>>>problem.
>>
>>It's not about not thinking broad enough -- they voted for the best
>>design, which was a good point for itself. For those 2 in the banner,
>>that's true, it would be a plus.
>
>IMHO, that was an omission in the rules of the contest. I believe the
>Apache and/or Perl mascot should have been a requirement. I'd rather see a
>camel head instead of cogs. I've no clue what 'cogs' have to do with
>mod_perl and what does it help to mod_perl to attract more people.

:-) They look cool though. Brings a little "new" trademark to mod_perl, to
differenciate ourselves from Apache and Perl... Anyway, stop worrying about it!

--
Per Einar Ellefsen
per.einar@skynet.be

Re: creating a good mod_perl ad-banner

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

Posted by Per Einar Ellefsen <pe...@skynet.be>.
At 18:19 04.06.2002, Stas Bekman wrote:
>>Maybe one like this:
>>- Tired of waiting ...?
>>- Love Perl and Apache?
>>- What you need is...
>>- [modperl]
>>- Use it *now*!
>
>None of these tells you what it is! So it's not different from Speed,
>Power, Whatever. Which may be intriguing, but unfortunately we aren't in
>1997, where I was creating banners saying just "Click Me!".

Yeah, I see... I suck at this :)

>We need to have a message, which makes it clear that this:
>
>first a webserver
>second running on Apache and Perl
>third, else

Agreed.

>Now you can clearly see the problem with the new logo: it gives no clue
>what it is. I'd think that people didn't think too broad when they've
>voted for it. So I suggest to cure that bug with putting the Apache
>feather and Camel inside the banner. Having these two solves most of the
>problem.

It's not about not thinking broad enough -- they voted for the best design,
which was a good point for itself. For those 2 in the banner, that's true,
it would be a plus.

>>About graphics: I thought maybe it would be cool to have a bullet going
>>through the logo and the caption "Faster than a speeding bullet", but
>>that's way out of my scale. I don't know any good graphic designers either.
>
>Anyway, that's a good idea, probably need to log it in TODO while we don't
>have any other better place.

Logged in TODO. Should we organize a contest? It would need pretty strict