Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Thomas DeWeese <Th...@Kodak.com> on 2003/09/02 13:40:49 UTC

Re: anti-alias

David Eppstein wrote:
> In article <DG...@oramap.com>,
>  "Chris Faulkner" <ch...@oramap.com> wrote:
>

>>I have been using Batik at a very basic level for a while - just rasterising
>>SVG images.
>>
>>I would like to add anti-aliasing to improve the appearance of the text. I
>>have seen a little discussion about this in the mail archives but no
>>examples of how to do it. There seems to be something in the
>>PreferenceManager but I'm not sure - maybe I need a Transcoding Hint ? Could
>>someone tell me how to get anti-aliasing, please ?
>

> I'm getting text antialiasing with default settings of Batik's
> rasterizer under OS X.  So maybe this is another of these things that
> you can't change in Batik itself or your SVG files, it's built into your
> Java version?

   If you can provide a small sample rendering (to the list if < 10K-20K, or
to me if larger) it might help.  Sometimes people don't recognise anti-aliasing
for what it is.

access control exception from rhino, but not java?

Posted by Denis Bohm <de...@fireflydesign.com>.
I'm using the Batik JSVGCanvas in a JApplet.  I also have a Java class that
creates a multicast socket, joins a group, and sends some data.  When I run
it directly from JApplet it works fine.  When I try to run it from an SVG
script I get the access control exception shown below.  Any idea why this
would be happening?

(java.net.SocketPermission 224.0.0.1 connect,accept,resolve)
 at java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission(Unknown Source)
 at java.security.AccessController.checkPermission(Unknown Source)
 at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkMulticast(Unknown Source)
 at java.net.MulticastSocket.joinGroup(Unknown Source)
 at com.hp.hpl.epc.data.MulticastSender.<init>(MulticastSender.java:54)
 at com.hp.hpl.epc.data.MulticastSender.<init>(MulticastSender.java:62)
 at com.hp.hpl.epc.data.MulticastSender.main(MulticastSender.java:29)
 at org.mozilla.javascript.NativeJavaMethod.call(NativeJavaMethod.java:230)
 at org.mozilla.javascript.ScriptRuntime.call(ScriptRuntime.java:1191)
 at org.mozilla.javascript.gen.c2.call(Inline <script>
http://www.fireflydesign.com/hpdemo/demo.svg:-1:6)
 at
org.mozilla.javascript.optimizer.OptRuntime.callSimple(OptRuntime.java:275)
 at org.mozilla.javascript.gen.c5.call(<SVG>:1)
 at org.mozilla.javascript.gen.c5.exec(<SVG>)
 at
org.apache.batik.script.rhino.RhinoInterpreter.evaluate(RhinoInterpreter.jav
a:356)
 at
org.apache.batik.bridge.ScriptingEnvironment$EvaluateRunnable.run(ScriptingE
nvironment.java:637)
 at org.apache.batik.util.RunnableQueue.run(RunnableQueue.java:204)
 at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

RE: anti-alias - attached files (1/1)

Posted by Chris Faulkner <ch...@oramap.com>.
Yes I do see the fuzziness around the letters. Thanks to both of you for
helping on this.

Chris

>>>I'm getting text antialiasing with default settings of Batik's
>>>rasterizer under OS X.  So maybe this is another of these things that
>>>you can't change in Batik itself or your SVG files, it's built into your
>>>Java version?
>>
>>   If you can provide a small sample rendering (to the list if < 10K-20K,
or
>>to me if larger) it might help.  Sometimes people don't recognise
>>anti-aliasing
>>for what it is.
>

> Ok... I've attached the text01 example from the SVG spec, an antialiased
> png file resulting from batik-rasterizer, and a crop with the pixels
> blown up to 400% and with an opaque background so you can see the
> antialiasing more clearly.

Hi David,

     Thanks for doing that it may help Chris understand what AA looks like,
however my comment was really directed at Chris (I was just following up to
your note because it was the last in the thread - sorry for the confusion).

     So Chris do you see the little 'fuzzy bits' around your letters?

Re: anti-alias - attached files (1/1)

Posted by Thomas DeWeese <Th...@Kodak.com>.

Posted by Chris Faulkner <ch...@oramap.com>.
Thanks for your help with this. I went back to my original data and my
images are anti-aliased. I guess I was expecting a bit more "blur". The
Adobe SVG viewer seems to do more filtering in its "High Quality" mode but
the Batik output is much better.

Chris

--
David Eppstein                      http://www.ics.uci.edu/~eppstein/