Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Marcel Kinard <cm...@gmail.com> on 2013/01/14 17:43:30 UTC

docs on cordova.apache.org

Would it make sense to host a copy of the docs on cordova.apache.org?
Other Apache projects have their docs online at their apache.org site.

A couple possibilities:
1) build the html files and zip them up, so a consumer needs to only
download and unzip and point their browser at their local offline copy.
2) build the html files and post them unpacked to cordova.apache.org so
they can be browsed directly without a zip or src download.

My initial suggestion is to do both: something like /docs/download to
hold the zip files and /docs/browse to have the tree starting with
index.html.

Or would it be better to host it in www.apache.org/dist/cordova?

I am willing to do the initial setup and load.

Comments?

-- Marcel Kinard

Re: docs on cordova.apache.org

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
Sent from a mobile device, please excuse mistakes and brevity
On 20 Feb 2013 00:52, "Filip Maj" <fi...@adobe.com> wrote:

> Awesome work Mike!

+1000

> On 2/19/13 4:38 PM, "Michael Brooks" <mi...@michaelbrooks.ca> wrote:
>
> >Update: Short-term goal [1] is now complete.
> >
> >The documentation is hosted on Apache infrastructure under the Apache
> >Cordova website. Additionally, http://docs.cordova.io/ redirects to the
> >Apache Cordova documentation.
> >
> >[1]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CB-1880
> >
> >On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 4:00 PM, Michael Brooks
> ><mi...@michaelbrooks.ca>wrote:
> >
> >> Steve Gill and myself sat down on Friday and reviewed the state of the
> >> documentation and where we need it to go.
> >>
> >> The short-term goal is to host the documentation on
> >> http://cordova.apache.org/docs and redirect with http://docs.cordova.io
> >>
> >> The long-term goal is everything else - theming, organization, document
> >> structure, etc. I don't want this discussion to happen on this thread.
> >>
> >> The short-term goal is small and focused. No automation for updating or
> >> anything like that. It's meant to achieve our objective on the Apache
> >>board
> >> report and set a new objective. After hosting the documentation, we
will
> >> need to cull the versions down to only those that are part of Apache
> >> Cordova (removing the old PhoneGap versions). We can look into an
> >> auto-update mechanism, although the generator will be replaced in the
> >> long-term goal.
> >>
> >> A downside to hosting the documentation on the website's SVN is that it
> >> will shoot up to roughly 600MB (300MB in public/ and 300MB in www/). We
> >>can
> >> reduce this by removing the irrelevant versions.
> >>
> >> As Fil mentioned, this week has been busy. Before starting work, I'll
> >> create and update the relevant JIRA issues, then open a discussion on
> >>where
> >> we want the docs to go.
> >>
> >> Michael

Having

Posted by Michael Brooks <mi...@michaelbrooks.ca>.
Attention: Expect a one hour outage on docs.cordova.io.

I'll be updating the DNS for docs.cordova.io to use A-records instead of
HTTP Redirects because it's faster.

You can still access the docs using the full path:
http://cordova.apache.org/docs/en/2.4.0

You can also access the PhoneGap Documentation (nearly identical) at
http://docs.phonegap.com/

Michael

Posted by Michael Brooks <mi...@michaelbrooks.ca>.

Posted by Michael Brooks <mi...@michaelbrooks.ca>.