Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Stefan Podskubka <s....@hcs.at> on 2011/10/24 09:27:39 UTC

Bug report: Assertion failed during update/cleanup

Today, when I wanted to update a working copy, I encountered the
following assertion failure:

In file
'D:\Development\SVN\Releases\TortoiseSVN-1.7.0\ext\subversion\subversion\libsvn_wc\workqueue.c'
line 672: assertion failed (checksum != NULL)

Exactly the same error happened when I wanted to do a cleanup afterwards.

Originally I used TortoiseSVN when this happened, but when I tried the
cleanup with the svn.exe the same thing happened:

svn: E235000: In file
'D:\Development\SVN\Releases\TortoiseSVN-1.7.0\ext\subversion\subversion\libsvn_wc\workqueue.c'
line 672: assertion failed (checksum != NULL)

It happened with a working copy of sqlmap
(https://svn.sqlmap.org/sqlmap/trunk/sqlmap), which I am using
internally for testing SQL injections.
The working copy was previously upgraded from version 1.6 to 1.7, after
that I could already update the working copy multiple times without
problems.
When I tried to perform the update the working copy had revision 4414
and I wanted to update to the HEAD revision, which was 4435 at that time.
The server displays: Powered by Subversion version 1.5.1 (r32289).
The working copy is unmodified, except one additional unversioned
directory '/output' in the root folder of the working copy and one
missing file '/extra/shellcodeexec/windows/shellcodeexec.x32.exe'
(because I let my virus scanner remove it). The virus scanner also
reports having removed the file
'/extra/shellcodeexec/windows/.svn/text-base/shellcodeexec.x32.exe' at
the same time, this happened before the working copy was upgraded from
1.6 to 1.7 and may possibly be the reason for this problem. When
upgrading the working copy from 1.6 to 1.7 I didn't get an error.

Thanks and best regards,
Stefan

Re: Bug report: Assertion failed during update/cleanup

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.
On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 04:20:33PM +0200, Andreas Tscharner wrote:

> [snip]
>
> > Anyway, the same error happens with TortoiseSVN and
> > Subversion 1.7.1, so
> > is my assumption correct, that this was an error during the
> > working copy
> > upgrade process from 1.6 to 1.7 and is not fixed by updating
> > Subversion
> > but only by checking out a fresh working copy (or performing
> > the upgrade
> > from 1.6 to 1.7 with Subversion 1.7.1, which would then result in an
> > error because of a corrupt working copy)?
>
> Did you try from your 1.6.x working copy with version 1.7.1 or did you try on the same working copy you've already tried v1.7.0?
>
> I am actually asking, because I am thinking about deplyoing 1.7.x in our company, but as long as this bug is not fixed, I am hesitating...

It was an upgrade bug which was fixed in 1.7.1.

Version 1.7.1
(24 Oct 2011, from /branches/1.7.x)
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/subversion/tags/1.7.1

  User-visible changes:
  [...]
   * fix 'checksum != NULL' assertions in some upgraded WCs (r1177732)

Re: Bug report: Assertion failed during update/cleanup

Posted by Stefan Podskubka <s....@hcs.at>.
To clarify, these were my steps:

1. upgrade a 1.6 working copy to version 1.7 using Subversion 1.7.0
2. update the working copy using Subversion 1.7.0, error occured
(workqueue.c line 672: assertion failed (checksum != NULL) )
3. perform a cleanup on the working copy using Subversion 1.7.0, same
error occured
4. update Subversion 1.7.0 to 1.7.1
5. try the cleanup on the working copy again using Subversion 1.7.1,
same error occured

After that I made a fresh check-out using Subversion 1.7.1, now
everything works fine.

I suppose the 1.6 working copy was corrupted (because of a missing
text-base) but the working copy upgrade mechanism in Subversion 1.7.0
did not recognize it as an error. So I ended up with a corrupt 1.7
working copy, which led to the above mentioned error, which was not
resolved even after updating to Subversion 1.7.1.
I suppose if I had already done the working copy upgrade with Subversion
1.7.1 it had notified me that the 1.6 working copy was corrupt and
wouldn't let me upgrade it to 1.7 at all, but I can't easily confirm
that now because I don't have a backup of my old 1.6 working copy.

Best regards
Stefan

Posted by Andreas Tscharner <an...@metromec.ch>.
[snip]

--
Andreas Tscharner                      <an...@metromec.ch>
"Intruder on level one. All Aliens please proceed to level one."

Open House am 26. und 27.10.11

Am 26. und 27. Oktober 2011 findet das Wenzel Metromec Open House in Chur statt.
Tauchen Sie ein in interessante Fachreferate und Workshops.
Besichtigen Sie topaktuelle Exponate aus dem Hause WENZEL.
Erfahren Sie mehr über unsere Produkte und Dienstleistungen.
Interessante Open House Aktionsangebote warten auf Sie.
Am Ende jedes Tages verlosen wir unter den Besuchern eine 3D-Maus „3Dconnexion SpaceExplorer“ im Wert von CHF 460.-

Anmeldung bis Freitag 21. Oktober 2011 unter
http://www.metromec.ch/de/component/content/article/39/308-wenzel-metromec-open-house.html

Re: Bug report: Assertion failed during update/cleanup

Posted by Stefan Podskubka <s....@hcs.at>.
Sorry, it was too early in the morning for me to search the mailing list
archive and see that the problem was already posted a hundred times
(and, for that matter, fixed too...). Shame on me...

Anyway, the same error happens with TortoiseSVN and Subversion 1.7.1, so
is my assumption correct, that this was an error during the working copy
upgrade process from 1.6 to 1.7 and is not fixed by updating Subversion
but only by checking out a fresh working copy (or performing the upgrade
from 1.6 to 1.7 with Subversion 1.7.1, which would then result in an
error because of a corrupt working copy)?

Best regards,
Stefan