Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by "Hope, Matthew" <Ma...@capitalone.com> on 2003/08/28 10:48:49 UTC

RE: [pcollections][PROPOSAL] Primitive collections - new sandbox component from [collections]

is there much of a link in codebase / use cases of the primitive collections
and primitive utilities within lang etc...

perhaps a primitives project with a sub package o.a.c.primitive.collections
would work?

I know I'd be a heavy user of both together.

definitely still useful even when 1.5 boxing happens.

colt has some very impressive primitive maps where you can roll your own
reasonably simply
(int -> double, long-->Object, int->int etc provided already but with
'template' to sort your own out) long->Object is perfect for massive caches
of credit card number->Object maps, only about 16MB overhead per million
entries and still very fast.

they are a mix of licences and I doubt they are apache compatible though.

Matt

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.
Yes your right, either direction it goes in, the size constraints on
[collections] and maintaining the modularity are imporant too.

-M.

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.
[primitives] is a better name overall, no mystery. And there is probably a
strong correlation between primitive collections and primitive helpers.
After all we can change to pcollections later if needs be.

I would like to get Rodney's views before we move and change his package
however ;-)

Stephen