Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Mete Kural <me...@touchtonecorp.com> on 2003/12/20 16:35:48 UTC

Struts and JSF question

Hello Struts developers,

I was having an email correspondance with someone and he asked me these questions below. It is about JSF and whether JSF is adequate by itself or needs to be coupled with a web framework like Struts to be better. I want to hear what your opinions are regarding why JSF together with Struts is better than JSF alone.

>Struts is well used now because it introduced the idea of MVC2, but Struts
>has not a good design, it is not extendable and it is too Heavy; webwork for
>example is much better. Using Struts with portlets is really a bad idea. We
>now provide a bridge to embedded existing Struts applications into portlets.
>But if you start from scratch do not use Struts.
>
>Our home made framework is really dedicated to portlets, we will slowly move
>to use JSF (alone NOT coupled with STruts)  in portlets and maybe extends
>JSF to get a better suppport of portlets specificities.
>
>I bet that JSF will replace all web frameworks very quickly, it is so
>powerfull and there is nothing Struts can do that JSF can do in a nicer
>way;)
>
>Why do you insist on Struts, any other arguments or suggestions?

Thanks,
Mete

Re: Struts and JSF question

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
It's too early for anyone to have a reasonable opinion based on actual
experience. The proposed final draft of JSF has only now become
available. People are going too have to try JSF for themselves and
decide for themselves whether the JSF approach to navigation is right
for them. It will be some time before the community has enough
experience to do more than guess.

In any event, this is really a question for Struts USER.

-Ted.