Posted to dev@river.apache.org by Peter Firmstone <ji...@zeus.net.au> on 2012/01/22 04:54:00 UTC

Surrogate

Greg,

Are there any areas where you could use some help with the Surrogate
implementation?

This year, we could make an impact with fresh releases for River,
Surrogate and the LDJ Kit.

Cheers,

Peter.

Re: Surrogate

Posted by Peter Firmstone <ji...@zeus.net.au>.
One big benefit is that a new developer can just checkout from svn, then
open a project with their IDE and it's all recognised, ready to rock 'n
roll.  And there's very little work to do to achieve that.  River
supports the use of Maven, even though internally we use ant.

Incidentally you can build using Maven or Gradle.  So not only is it IDE
agnostic, but it's build tool agnostic as well.

I'd certainly encourage people to follow the way Dennis bundles and
structures his service dependencies as a guide, I'll be doing this for
my own projects.  ClassDep can be used to determine dependencies in
existing software, to assist restructuring by hand to support Maven or
Gradle builds (with the same build structure).

No one's written any tools to automate the process so it's better to
start that way than try to migrate later.

Cheers,

Peter.

Re: Surrogate

Posted by Jeff Ramsdale <je...@gmail.com>.