Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by Jeff Hubbs <jh...@att.net> on 2019/02/01 12:51:19 UTC

Re: Computation time with Hadoop for kmeans

J�r�my -

Much of the whole point behind Hadoop is that with each worker node
added to the cluster you widen the disk I/O and CPU-to-RAM pipelines and
increase the number of cores operating at once. What you've essentially
done is take a single machine and add on a lot of Hadoop overhead and
some VM overhead to get in the way.

Another point behind Hadoop is to move the computation to where the data
is. That idea is pretty much stuffed as far as your rig is concerned
because all the data and all the computation have nowhere else to move to.

Also, I don't seem to have useful Hadoop cluster worker nodes until each
has at least 8GiB RAM; I can't imagine what you can get out of just
1.5GiB RAM.

I'd advise you to grab some real hardware and try this again.